Forum home Wildlife gardening

Pond help required.

I have very recently had a small pond installed in my garden as I am desperate to give a home to frogs and other creatures. It is still in its early days and has yet to be planted up but I have been dismayed to find that work being carried out on next door's roof has meant there is now a film of dirt across the surface and dirt and debris has contaminated the soil on the bottom of the pond and the ledges around the pond sides. Can anyone advise me how to sort this out as I am sure no frogs will want to move into it as it is. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 31,360
    Hello Jo and welcome to the forum. The easiest way to clear the film is to have a slow running hosepipe in the pond and allow it to flood over washing the 'film' away. To avoid unnecessary disturbance in the pond, direct the hose pipe into a plant pot (a heavy terra cotta one). That might help.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,932
    If it's just the kind of dirt and dust that accumulates on roofs over time, then it'll be fine (it accumulates everywhere else as well, we just don't notice it). Clear the film off the water surface if you find it unsightly. Unless they've been taking out asbestos without proper precautions, it's unlikely to be harmful. If there are big chunks of roof tile and suchlike in the pond you might want to fish them out so they don't damage the liner.
  • Thanks for your swift replies. Things certainly look better now the film of dirt has gone.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 31,360
    You are most welcome.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,197
    Thanks for your swift replies. Things certainly look better now the film of dirt has gone.
    Until the starlings and wood pigeons have a bath in it!  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....