Forum home Problem solving

Rudbeckia over winter

Hi All, I move a Rudbeckia over the winter to a smaller pot, the stalks was green when I moved it but it looks a bit dead now, any thoughts on how I can save the plant? 

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,287
    do you know what variety of rudbeckia you planted ? some aren't hardy 
  • Hi
    Rudbeckia can be half hardy or hardy. If yours is the frost hardy type then it will be propably Goldstrum. The only thing is that Goldstrum would not normally be ideal for potting up in a container, so the chances are it’s half hardy and propably short lived based on this
    Rudbeckia are late summer flowering plants so there would be not significant top growth until mid to late spring.
    i would carefully remove the plant from the container and inspect the root ball. If it’s roots are completely dried out and showing shrinkage then is propably dead 
  • suffolk_blondesuffolk_blonde SouthendPosts: 52
    Thanks it's the black eyed susan variety, it does state its suitable for containers, but does look a bit unhappy. 
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,287
    black eyed susan is the common name for rudbeckia , have you got any pictures from last year ? I suspect its not a hardy variety , my Rudbeckia Goldstrum usually have some leaves on even through winter . you can always wait and see if it comes to.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    I sow annual Rudbeckia every year, never see it again, but as Perki says the Goldsrum is showing green all winter. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.