Forum home The potting shed

When to plant Tubers & Summer Bulbs

• @Littlegrower By the way, the Non Stop Mixed Begonia plug plants from J Parkers don't make Corms for the following year, hence I re-order every February because they sell out pretty quick.
  • Oh no, really wanted them to produce corms, so I don't have to order them every year. Might look into getting corms instead. Thanks for the heads up!
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,528
    I thought all begonias grew from corms? Never buy them myself not keen on the fleshy leaves but I didn’t realise there were non corm varieties. What will they think of next??? 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,102
    I got corms from mine, got dozens of them now. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lyn said:
    I got corms from mine, got dozens of them now. 

This year is the first that I have bought Corms, the non stop Begonia plug plants I buy from J Parkers have never produced Corms. Come the end of the season, they die off with nothing that I can keep for the following year??
  • AlchemistAlchemist Self IsolationPosts: 265
    I got corms from my non stop begonia last year, albeit small (£1-£2size). 
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 783
    Last year I had a beautiful dark red begonia that flowered all summer in a container. I forgot to remove it and put it away for the winter. My question is, will it come back to life having been left in situ? (sorry if I have jumped on)    
  • Now I'm doubting myself and becoming increasingly concerned that I've not really checked properly at the end of the season. To that end I have just sent an email to
    J Parkers asking them the question. Rest assured, I will post their response in full.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,102
    They’ll probable say you need to buy more😀
    they are small in the first year, but they get bigger every year. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• And here is the reply from J Parkers ... I'm not at all sure as to how these Begonia Plugs are initially grown but at least I now know I wasn't mistaken. I will however look in future for Non Stop Begonia Corms as this would certainly be far more cost effective and hugely more satisfying as @Lyn must find.

Good Morning,

Thank you for your recent email,

Unfortunately the garden ready plugs will not produce corms.

Kind Regards