Forum home The potting shed

When to plant Tubers & Summer Bulbs

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    My guess for the unseen mystery bulb is...
    'crinum powellii' 😁.

I bought one a few years back and the bulb was huge.
    All leaf and no flower, ended up binning it.
  • LittlegrowerLittlegrower Posts: 80
    edited February 2019
    Lyn 
    Depends what type they are but yes, they all will flower in the first year and the big blousy type make corms for next year. We would need to know the name of the ones you’re looking at. 
    I was looking at the begonia non stop mixed plug plants by j parker's.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,102
    edited February 2019
    Yes, they will definitely make tubers for next year. 
    Some may be small but they get bigger each year.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• @Littlegrower you beat me to it, I was looking at the same ones, they're good value for money!
  • JennyJ said:
    Hmmmm.  Now I'm trying to think of what might come in packs of one large bulb at this time of year.  Eucomis, maybe?  (I've seen those in Wilko recently)
    Ha! You guys are absolutely right  :D I just checked the name Eucomis online and that's definitely what I've bought ... my goodness, you guys are good! 
  • Lyn 
    Depends what type they are but yes, they all will flower in the first year and the big blousy type make corms for next year. We would need to know the name of the ones you’re looking at. 
    I was looking at the begonia non stop mixed plug plants by j parker's.
    I've been buying those from J Parkers for the last few years and I've ordered again. They're usually really good. In fact I ordered them last week and this morning a parcel arrived with two freebies, 8 Lupin Minarette and 12 Dwarf Pot Lillies. I was concerned it was a bit too early plant but after I made a call I was assured that they are all grown outdoor anyway so I was safe to pot them up straight away ... gave me something to do this morning whilst enjoying the sunshine.
  • Whilst on the subject of potting up, what is the general opinion on emptying out some of last years compost from my containers, mixing with some brand new, together with a few handfuls of chicken manure pellets? Asking because I didn't have enough new this morning to pot up the Lupins and Lillies.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,528
    That’s what I always do can’t afford to throw it all away every year! 
  • debs64 said:
    That’s what I always do can’t afford to throw it all away every year! 
    Great! That gives me confidence then. Thanks Debs
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,431
    JennyJ said:
    Hmmmm.  Now I'm trying to think of what might come in packs of one large bulb at this time of year.  Eucomis, maybe?  (I've seen those in Wilko recently)
    Ha! You guys are absolutely right  :D I just checked the name Eucomis online and that's definitely what I've bought ... my goodness, you guys are good! 
    B)
    Lucky guess based on what's in the shops at the moment.