Forum home The potting shed

When to plant Tubers & Summer Bulbs

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,956
    Ach - we've all been there Paul  :D
    I'm wondering if it's a lily. As Lyn says - there are bulbs which you leave poking out above the soil [amaryllis?] but they would usually be on sale in autumn I think.

If you can take a pic of what you have, that would help. Otherwise, it's a case of crossing your fingers....and maybe toes as well  ;)
    Good luck with your other purchases too. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Lyn said:
    Just thinking @Paul Anthony maybe your begonia corms are those very small ones? If they are about 1 - 2” across, you could put more in your containers, 2 or 3. All depends on the size.
    Our GC has some huge ones, about 3 - 4” across, those I would plant  singularly.   
    They actually are about 2" across so my seed tray looks exactly like yours now and they're stood on a window sill. I'll keep checking them for water and sprouting and hope for the best. June 1st is in my diary. Thank you so much for the guidance :smile:
  • Lyn said:
    You really need to know what the bulb is before you plant it, some bulbs you leave the pointy bit stuck out of the compost. 
    Well done on starting off your begonia corms,  keep them in the warm,  perhaps you can put a photo on when they start to shoot and someone can give you more instructions from there. 
    Perhaps tomorrow I'll dig it out of the pot, take a pic and post it. I really don't have a clue what it is; if the size is anything to go by, then possibly a Triffid :smile:
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,427
    Hmmmm.  Now I'm trying to think of what might come in packs of one large bulb at this time of year.  Eucomis, maybe?  (I've seen those in Wilko recently)
  • I've seen begonia plug plants for sale online but curious if  they are the same? Would they flower in the first year and produce a corm too? 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,718
    huge summer bulb makes me think of Eucomis too.
    Klu Klux Klan serve hot soul food
    Whilst the band plays In the Mood
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,427
    The plug begonias are probably the fibrous-rooted bedding kinds - smaller plants, smaller flowers and a more limited colour range (white, pink or red). One of the few summer bedding plants that will grow in shade though, so they have their uses.
  • Seeing Lyns begonias has definitely given me a reason to get some myself, will definitely take on all the advice to get them off to a good start.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,101
    I've seen begonia plug plants for sale online but curious if  they are the same? Would they flower in the first year and produce a corm too? 
    Depends what type they are but yes, they all will flower in the first year and the big blousy type make corms for next year. We would need to know the name of the ones you’re looking at. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,101
    I would be inclined to think that’s an amaryllis bulb, left over and was probably at a sale price.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.