Forum home Tools and techniques

Best make of garden tools - what do you all think?

124»

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025
    Most of my garden tools are Spear and Jackson. Spade, fork, rake and hoe are all 45 years old (bought them for my first garden - remember having to save up for them). All have done a power of work in that time in various gardens and various soils. Even the years I spent as a jobbing gardener. Still as good as new. Always fancied a SS spade but couldn't bring myself to replace the trusty one I had. 
    Hand tools are a mix of Wolf, Felco, S&J etc. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,962
    I've got stainless steel garden and border spades and forks.  Had them for years and have no idea of make as the labels have long since disappeared.  The smaller spade snapped after a few years, where the blade and the tube into which the handle fit meet.  It must have been a fault as it wasn't used an awful lot and actually broke when being pushed into the ground.  It wasn't even under pressure from trying to lift at the time.  All the rest are still good.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,985
    Forgot about my Sneeboer trowel.  It's lovely and, like Chicky, a birthday present.  I also have some Fiskars loppers and, whilst I love the business end, the extendable handles broke on the second go - and we'd already exchanged the first pair for that reason - so they're a bit frustrating to use for some jobs as half the handle drops off.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw