Forum home Tools and techniques

Best make of garden tools - what do you all think?

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,378
    @pansyface and @AnniD Yes this was my point exactly so many thing are just not made to the standard they were years ago. This explains why a while ago when I looked at a new Bulldog fork the tines looked as though they were (badly) welded on not forged or the forging was done by a blind man because there were lumps & bumps & blobs of metal barely covered by the green paint!  Personally I still prefer carbon steel for a spade , fork or Hoe I think stainless is too brittle or too hard to sharpen. Wooden  handles  breaking is because they are not using seasoned ash like they used to, but then that took time and cost money. When we only pay £10 -20 for a fork or spade it's not surprising the quality suffers, but I object to paying premium prices for a brand when their standards have dropped so low.
    AB Still learning

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,209
    For secateurs I like Felco No. 2, I have two of them. I also have a No. 4 but it doesn't cut so well and the spring pops out. For shears and loppers I like Fiskars.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,354
    Yes I have a fiskars grass shears with the rotating head, I've read reviews on these where people say that they can't get on with them but for my needs they are perfect, I must have had them for 10 years at least and they still operate well, what's more I found the original packaging the other day and noticed that they have a lifetime guarantee.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,931
    Yours or theirs?😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,422
    I prefer a stainless steel fork as I'm always forgetting to bring them in.
    You just have to be careful if you feel strong resistance and wiggle it back and forth to loosen the soil. If you don't, the tines get bent but I've never known them to snap.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,867
    We have Bulldogs, bought about 5 years ago, and so far they have survived Mr C’s rather heavy handed treatment 😉

I use sneeboer hand tools - expensive, but I have bulit up a collection at Christmas and birthdays over the years
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,123
    @Allotment Boy I’m surprised to hear that about Bulldog, mine were new last year and were very well constructed and finished - I have tried very hard to bend the tines on the fork but I’m pleased to report, no joy :) I’m no Mr Muscle, nor Uri Gellar, but both the Fiskars (now a compost heap turner) and Spear and Jackson (garden sculpture?) looked like this very rapidly:

• B3B3 Posts: 19,422
    Stick it upside down in the garden and either grow climbers up it or hang bird feeders off it or lanterns but NOT windchimes😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,123
    Gawd nooo, never windchimes  :o
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,736
    Felco secateurs, and I like the Wolf range with detachable heads.  I have 3 handles of different lengths including an extending one which is brillant when I want to rake an area level and avoid standing on it when working.