Best make of garden tools - what do you all think?

Just wondering which make of garden tools seems to be the best these days.  I haven't had to buy anything for a while so I'm a bit out of touch.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,604
    edited 25 February
    I think it depends what you're looking for.
    Generally Wolf tools are good, but I always refer to Fred's Shed site when looking for new tools and usually buy what he recommends - and I've not yet been disappointed. The site is a bit chaotic, but there's a lot of good info there
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,735
    I don't go by make. It's what feels good in your hand. Some of my favourites are cheapo but I usually try to go with stainless steel .
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Same here. You can go for expensive suppliers such as Burgeon and Ball, Wilkinson Sword, and pay a lot for the name 
    Brought a stainless steel boarder fork and spade from Wilko’s for a total of £14 a few year ago that are excellent value and never failed or broke down. A similar spade and fork would cost you a considerable amount more from the other 2 suppliers with no difference in quality or appearance to the Wilko brand 
  • mike.mpsmike.mps Posts: 5
    I've been through all sorts of garden tools in the last couple of years usually bought in garden centers and looking the part. However, I snapped the handles on spades and forks, a rake just broke on my and a grass rake just fell apart after a couple of weeks. I now buy Spear and Jackson tools, they are a bit more expensive but they are built to last and are very reliable and I've had no failure with them.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,171
    As well as how it feels and whether it fits your height it also depends on how tough and stony your ground is. Cheap tools barely last a week with me and I have also bent/broken both Spear and Jackson and Burgeon and Ball forks and spades.

Bulldog is the only make that can stand up to the serious abuse I subject tools to, they are beautifully made and comfortable to use. 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 487
    I wish I knew the make of my spade. Its all metal, over 40 years old and still going. It's dug many a clay based garden, lifted stones, dug out roots, lifted concrete slabs and planted trees and shrubs, along with an equally old hand trowel.
    It's irreplaceable!

• The Bird LadyThe Bird Lady Posts: 134

Cheers everyone!

Unable to do any gardening at the moment - just had a bunion op!

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,056
    My dad bought me a Spear and Jackson stainless steel fork and spade set for christmas in 2017. I haven't used it much but the wood of the spade handle has started to split really badly. I'm hoping they'll honour the lifetime warranty but I don't have the receipt. My Burgeon and Ball tools are all fine and have the same cleaning and oiling routine.

If you have a Tools for Self-reliance charity shop near you check them out though as they often have some really good second hand refurbished tools there.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    As mine spend there life at the allotment they are cheap and cheerful £6.00 a time Wilko Digging fork and spade I also have some inherited Wolf tools that work well I do like the long handle with trowel and weeding fork saves all that kneeling, and I don't want to leave expensive tools in the shed just in case they did get nicked.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,744
    I have a Spear and Jackson wooden handled stainless steel border fork I bought in 1989 for a heavy clay garden.  It is still going strong all these years later after several moves and changes of soil.  I try to clean it every time I sue it but OH doesn't bother.  I clean and oil the handle at least once a year at the end of autumn when it can expect a rest and a soak for a wee while at least.

For hand tools, I have a very good stainless steel hand fork with a wooden handle but can't remember the brand. Felco secateurs - 3 pairs.   All the rest are the Wolf multi tool system with different length handles - assorted widths and types of hoe, cultivators, rakes, brush, pruning saw etc...
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw