Forum home Tools and techniques

Best make of garden tools - what do you all think?

Just wondering which make of garden tools seems to be the best these days.  I haven't had to buy anything for a while so I'm a bit out of touch.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,490
    edited February 2019
    I think it depends what you're looking for.
    Generally Wolf tools are good, but I always refer to Fred's Shed site when looking for new tools and usually buy what he recommends - and I've not yet been disappointed. The site is a bit chaotic, but there's a lot of good info there
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    I don't go by make. It's what feels good in your hand. Some of my favourites are cheapo but I usually try to go with stainless steel .
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Same here. You can go for expensive suppliers such as Burgeon and Ball, Wilkinson Sword, and pay a lot for the name 
    Brought a stainless steel boarder fork and spade from Wilko’s for a total of £14 a few year ago that are excellent value and never failed or broke down. A similar spade and fork would cost you a considerable amount more from the other 2 suppliers with no difference in quality or appearance to the Wilko brand 
  • mike.mpsmike.mps Posts: 5
    I've been through all sorts of garden tools in the last couple of years usually bought in garden centers and looking the part. However, I snapped the handles on spades and forks, a rake just broke on my and a grass rake just fell apart after a couple of weeks. I now buy Spear and Jackson tools, they are a bit more expensive but they are built to last and are very reliable and I've had no failure with them.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,023
    As well as how it feels and whether it fits your height it also depends on how tough and stony your ground is. Cheap tools barely last a week with me and I have also bent/broken both Spear and Jackson and Burgeon and Ball forks and spades.

Bulldog is the only make that can stand up to the serious abuse I subject tools to, they are beautifully made and comfortable to use. 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    I wish I knew the make of my spade. Its all metal, over 40 years old and still going. It's dug many a clay based garden, lifted stones, dug out roots, lifted concrete slabs and planted trees and shrubs, along with an equally old hand trowel.
    It's irreplaceable!

• Cheers everyone!

Unable to do any gardening at the moment - just had a bunion op!

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,521
    My dad bought me a Spear and Jackson stainless steel fork and spade set for christmas in 2017. I haven't used it much but the wood of the spade handle has started to split really badly. I'm hoping they'll honour the lifetime warranty but I don't have the receipt. My Burgeon and Ball tools are all fine and have the same cleaning and oiling routine.

If you have a Tools for Self-reliance charity shop near you check them out though as they often have some really good second hand refurbished tools there.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    As mine spend there life at the allotment they are cheap and cheerful £6.00 a time Wilko Digging fork and spade I also have some inherited Wolf tools that work well I do like the long handle with trowel and weeding fork saves all that kneeling, and I don't want to leave expensive tools in the shed just in case they did get nicked.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,219
    I have a Spear and Jackson wooden handled stainless steel border fork I bought in 1989 for a heavy clay garden.  It is still going strong all these years later after several moves and changes of soil.  I try to clean it every time I sue it but OH doesn't bother.  I clean and oil the handle at least once a year at the end of autumn when it can expect a rest and a soak for a wee while at least.

For hand tools, I have a very good stainless steel hand fork with a wooden handle but can't remember the brand. Felco secateurs - 3 pairs.   All the rest are the Wolf multi tool system with different length handles - assorted widths and types of hoe, cultivators, rakes, brush, pruning saw etc...
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw