Forum home Problem solving

Windmill palm has yellow leaves - What to feed it?

Hi, 

I have a palm tree thing (I think its a windmill palm) in a pot outside in a sunny spot. Has been there for about 4 years with no problems. This year it seems to have gone very yellow. I'm assuming it's just lacking nutrients (I admit I have never fed it!). So I'm wondering if I can give it some tomato feed or if I have to buy some special palm food. Can anyone advise? Or if there is another reason for the yellow leaves?! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,557
    edited February 2019
    I think as well as being hungry it’s outgrown that pot!

Id repot it in something bigger ... not sure what’s recommended for palms but my instinct says a mix of JI No 2 lightened with some MPC and some horticultural grit would be ok. 

As for feeding,  tomato feed is for encouraging flowers and fruit so that’s not what you need here. You need something with plenty of nitrogen to encourage foliage growth. I use pelleted Fish, Blood& Bone in March and again in June or July for leafy shrubs in containers. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Oh dear, not sure I could even move the pot let alone repot it into a bigger one!  :s

I have some of this, will it do?? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,557
    Yes 👍 that’s the stuff 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Excellent. Thank you  :)
  • Hello, I am experiencing the exact same thing with my Windmill Palm and I was wondering if yours ever recovered from the yellowing? Thanks! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    The yellowing in this instance is caused by unsuitable conditions @danco444INo4z9ql. Following the advice already given would help. Seaweed is an ideal food for foliage plants.
    How is yours growing? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hello, I am experiencing the exact same thing with my Windmill Palm and I was wondering if yours ever recovered from the yellowing? Thanks! 
    It did recover yes. I’m not very good at remembering to feed plants! I fed it minimally and somehow it recovered. This year seemed to do really well!