Forum home Wildlife gardening

Old metal wheelbarrow for mini- pond?

2»

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,563
    Could you use a rubber liner?
  • Morning, 

Yes I’ve researched rubber too and it’s super toxic. 

Not sure how to proceed at the mo! I think the wheel barrow is probably best left after our discussions...  

fibre glass is also actually plastic!

I wonder how people made ponds  before plastic was so widely available... 

thanks everyone! 

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    Probably puddle clay...
  • Ooh what is puddle clay?

i know I also have options with Belfast sinks and old half whiskey barrels to make something small but they aren’t cheap so something I could save for once a million other more urgent jobs paid for lol! 

Looking online People have made ponds &water features  from galvanised metal tins, buckets old baths etc but seems like it’s toxic to fish (zinc poisoning) so wouldn’t want to risk that after all for the birds etc. I don’t know if my barrow is zinc or steel ... I assume steel would be ok (we eat with steel) but I don’t know what “galavanised” really is. Will have to research...

thx 

•  Hello again -a quick research on puddle clay has been very fruitful thank you for the suggestion! I can’t believe when I was searching for alternatives to plastic this didn’t come up.

shows  how attached the world is to plastic now… 

It’s going to take a little bit more thought and research but it’s definitely the way I want to go. As I’m doing this for wildlife especially I don’t want to put anything in that’s toxic either now or going to become toxic in the future when it starts to break down.

As it seems so rare now I may make a blog about it and show people how it goes! I’ll see how much time I have! 

Would anybody be interested for an update once I’ve done it? 

Thanks again everyone it’s been really helpful to discuss the pros and cons of the different options… 
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,930
    Yes please let us know how you get on. I have a tiny half barrel pond with a solar fountain but I love to hear about more ambitious projects best of luck!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,500
    I know we're all super hot on the plastic debate, but bear in mind that the negatives of using a plastic lining in the barrow, is balanced by all the good you're doing having a pond.  :)
    It's very easy to get hung up on a guilt trip about it all. Choose what suits your needs,  how you want your garden, and the bigger picture about the benefit it has to wildlife. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,563
    Very well put @Fairygirl.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,406
    I wonder how people made ponds  before plastic was so widely available... 

Concrete mostly!

I have a fibreglass one for my fish which will last me out and 2 plastic barrels for my wildlife pond.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings