Grow house site

Hello. Like most gardeners I dream of having a greenhouse but I can't afford the super duper shed green house combo I would need just now. I have a north facing wall I could put a wee lean to on but is there any point in this? I also have an area at side of shed I could use but that's even more enclosed. I'll attach pics. The wall in question is to the left of the downpipe. Excuse the clutter, I've not spring cleaned the garden yet. Or the house for that matter!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,424
    To be effective a greenhouse needs light and warmth.  It will get neither squished into a tiny north facing corner.   We built a g'house on the north side of our last house to have easy access to leccy and water but after a couple of years we moved it to a south facing site with a windbreak hedge at the west end.   Everything grew much better and we actually got decent tomatoes and cucumbers and seedlings for the garden.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • oooftoooft Posts: 146
    That's disappointing. I suspected as much but hoped someone would be on to say east and west sun would be fine. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,424
    There will be 6 months of the year when it gets no sun and 3 t 4 months when it will not get much - fence as well as wall casting shade.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,890
    East and West sun is fine, if you have the south facing greenhouse, come March its like an inferno inside, and you are taking plants out during the day, and putting them back at night.Our conservatory faces NE but its on a bungalow, so we get sun almost all the year, we have a little leanto greenhouse on the side, its shaded by the fence and gate, I use it for cucumbers,peppers,  in summer, at the moment, there are seedlings I grow last September in there.and have had o problems with the growing.  Its the only one |I dont have to put shading material in.
    I made my original post at the end of February and was informed that it wasn't such a good idea to put a grow house in a shadey spot. Struggled with what to do with such tiny space. I've been here over 2 years and it's just been a space to fling garden junk. I've now made it into a shade terrace.  Perfect for gingers, menopausal women and vampires. Just need patience to wait for rose to grow up over the arch. 
  • Ah that's lovelyoooft said:
     I've now made it into a shade terrace.  Perfect for gingers, menopausal women and vampires.
    That made me giggle.
    It's beautiful, by the way  :)
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,265
    That's such a difference, well done. I have to say I would have put a growhouse next to your house wall in the other photo. It would be warmer for plants than not having one and it's great for overwintering plants and pots. I would give it a go anyway. 
    Thanks for your lovely comments, girlies. Lizzie, I like your point on overwintering plants in a grow house against the house. I'll have to start saving! 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,265
    @oooft, you could start by buying one of the small plastic growhouses this year, which would give you a good idea of what will thrive or not in that location, before you go to the expense of maybe a glass one. 
    I bought a glass lean to type by Access, about 4 ft tall x 4ft x 3ft maybe depth, 3 adjustable shelves and sliding glass doors. It was between £250-£300 from memory some 5/6 years ago, part of which was birthday money. It was worth it.