Forum home The potting shed

Spam flags needed

• B3B3 Posts: 12,682
    t's been despatched alread 😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,679
    hank
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    uo 're welco
  • Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 490
    It’s not really that I object, as a female, to being called a guy ... it’s the term ‘hi guys’ and all it denotes about the speaker ... it grates in my ears even when used to address men 🙄 
    I OBJECT both as a woman and as a human being.  I find it unappealing and unnecessary.  
    As my mother in law puts it, the Americans come up with all kinds of ugly expressions and we can't wait to adopt them!
    I know language evolves, changes, borrows.... but I still loathe it!
  • PhaidraPhaidra Posts: 354
    Artemis3 said:
    .... but I still loathe it!
    I have to admit, I'm not enamoured of it either!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,014
    The problem with Americanisms in language is they veer headlong towards the lowest common denominator.  Language is all about communication and English has such a huge vocabulary that it is beautiful when used well - precise, descriptive, evocative, accurate, eloquent.

French speakers still say Bonjour Mesdames, Messieurs without embarrassment when they're just entering a bakers or butchers or PO or whatever and greet groups of friends individually with 2 kisses or a handshake depending on gender.   So much better than an impersonal "Hi guys."   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 490
    Obelixx said:
    The problem with Americanisms in language is they veer headlong towards the lowest common denominator.  .....

French speakers still say Bonjour Mesdames, Messieurs without embarrassment .... So much better than an impersonal "Hi guys."   
    I totally agree.
    This is a guy

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    Guys and Dolls 1955 - IMDb
    o:)
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,092
    I think I'd be more bothered if someone called me a doll :s