Seating area ideas

2»

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,905
    Your problem will be bonding the breeze blocks to the sleepers and rendering the sleepers.    Like I said, shame to lose the lovely sleepers too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,626
    I don't think it would work either.
    Do one or the other, but trying to mix them would look odd, even if it was successful. The 2nd picture you showed indicates how to do it - a basic rendered wall then sleepers on top. That creates the right effect  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 804
    edited 24 February
    I see in the top right corner of the garden you have ample seating so do you imagine the breeze blocks/sleepers would ever be used for seating? It would be very uncomfortable other than for a brief sojourn.

My solution would be to tidy up the area around the bay trees. I would enlarge the area around them creating a sharply defined and enlarged square and mulch the ground with bark or gravel. I would have a wood or metal divider between the mulch and the lawn. Next I would get rid of that wooden table and chairs set. It looks like it’s had its day and is now an eyesore, all the more so as I imagine it is very visible from the house.

Would the paving slabs benefit from a jet clean? I see a bit of a green tinge of algae which I would like to eradicate but I would not want to remove the lichen which gives character. Now consider what to do with the terrace. Plant pots? A bird feeder? A pond or fountain? A bench such as this one? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chunky-Solid-Wood-Garden-Bench-Railway-Sleeper-Treated-Timber-9-Colours/273284643576?hash=item3fa108baf8:m:muo0PuwJ5zTjzR-TvN6CTlw
  • The top right is in the sun. The bottom the shade. I'd like to create a 2nd seating area to come down to in the evening & add a fire pit. It was the cost of adding sleepers to raise the height I was trying to avoid. I was also trying to avoid removing what us already there. But agree mixing isn't ideal. I have a low budget to great the additional seating... Ideas how I can achieve this would be great
     P.s the green table & chairs are going & the panto will be cleaned cone spring 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,905
    How about a mix?  Remove enough sleepers to raise the height of the others and replace the ones you take out with rendered breeze blocks.   If you put a wooden top on the breeze block wall it will tie the two materials together.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw