Forum home The potting shed

Compost help!

Hello! I need some help with my compost. So when we first moved in 2 years ago I began composting. Stupidly we didn't really know what we were doing and just filled it with grass clippings and veg peelings (I know in hindsight I should have looked up how to do this first.) I haven't turned it either which I know I must start doing. I have had a look and it is very very wet and wondering how I rectify this? Would you suggest digging it all out to air it and layering it with browns or do your think I should just start again? 
Also there seems to be a lot of flies and I'm worried about spiders is this normal? If not how do I rectify this? 
Many thanks in advance for reading! 
Emily 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,790
    Don’t throw it away ... your instinct to layer it with browns and stir it up to get some air into it is the right one 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,714
    You can use torn up cardboard boxes as the brown material. Ideally, take off the plasticised sealing tape first.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,481
    Newspaper if you can scrounge some from neighbours, rolled into balls is best. Envelopes, rolled,  take the plastic window off first. Chop up any plants that have died down over winter. Crunch up eggs shells, bake in the oven when you’re cooking something. Lose tea or empty tea bags, coffee grounds. 
    Only about 2” depth of grass clippings at a time. 
    Your compost will take off in no time, what we are making now will be spread this autumn. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SlumSlum Posts: 305
     I'm worried about spiders is this normal? If not how do I rectify this? 

Hypnotherapy worked for a friend of mine.  :)
  • Thank you for all your help! 😊
  • Lyn said:
     Crunch up eggs shells, bake in the oven when you’re cooking something.
    Egg shells have never ever composted for me :(
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,616
    I put baked crunched up eggshells around the delphiniums to try and deter slugs.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I put baked crunched up eggshells around the delphiniums to try and deter slugs.
    I think OH has put landmines around the delphiniums, but they still get eaten to bits!