Forum home Wildlife gardening

Spring ?

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,200
    Well I'm excited, it's springy out there even if it's not quite spring🙂

I planted some super early daffs last Autumn called Spring Dawn and they are all flowering weeks ahead of the rest. Good stuff😀
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,918
    edited February 2019
    Sunny and warm here. Daffodils are out and little buds of blossom everywhere so in my eyes Spring has sprung! Hope everyone gets a good weekend in the garden. 
    Also my tortoise is awake and eating so say no more! 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,936
    The purple-leaved plum tree has flowers open this morning :)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,826
    I was driving along following a big lorry yesterday and he clipped a hazel tree and sent a huge cloud of pollen billowing up into the sunlight.

I'm sure I can hear baby birds cheaping in the conifer in the front garden too. The robin has been carrying food down there for a week or so now so we may have some very early chicks in the garden if this weather stays mild.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,804
    I wear T Shirt and shorts all year round even to Promenade down The High Street to get the shopping

The responses I get are......"Arent you cold in those ".............."You are making me feel cold dressed like that ".............."Are you a trainee postman "..........and other stupid comments

So far I have restrained myself from responding !!!
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,495
    I think it's spring as well, my cherry blossom is coming out, there are new shoots coming up on existing perenials like gaura, scabious, rudbeckia and the like. Saw two lovely camellia bushes absolutely awash with flowers on way to SM this morning and catkins on the hazel are lengthening fast. Also seen a couple of bumblebees and a wasp?  
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,464
    Having said my hellebores weren't out yesterday, most of the buds seem to have opened today! No daffodils yet though  but there are buds. -4° frosty then sunny again today.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,473
    Shame about the blossoms out, if we have a late frost as we usually do, there will be no fruit.
    last year we lost a lot of our frog spawn.  I remember years ago, my mum’s birthday was 19th Feb, we would have a day out somewhere, always just carrying a jacket, after that the winter would start. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,250
    That's my main worry, Lyn.  After the drought conditions here last year, I'm expecting a poor fruit crop anyway.  Still, nowt can be done about it so I'm just going with it and starting some stuff a bit early.  I only ever sow half the seed anyway so can always start again at my usual times.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • islander said:
    There are DAISIES galore in the grassy areas here.  Was there not  a saying that when you could put a foot on two daisies at once it is spring? I got big feet 
    Seven I was told. And it had to be done by a virgin, for some strange meteorological reason :smile: