Forum home Wildlife gardening

Spring ?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,209
    In SW France there is lovely sun in the afternoon but frosts and -4°, -5° in the mornings. My daffodils aren't out, nor hellebores, only the snowdrops and winter pansies so far. Don't forget the "Beast from the East" and the snow were in March last year.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,918
    In SW France there is lovely sun in the afternoon but frosts and -4°, -5° in the mornings. My daffodils aren't out, nor hellebores, only the snowdrops and winter pansies so far. Don't forget the "Beast from the East" and the snow were in March last year.
    All the daffs and hellebores are going full throttle here.

It's not spring, for sure and we're certain to get plenty more frosty nights and at least one more proper winter storm yet. But on the other hand, last year's beastly easterly was forecast this far ahead, and this year there's no sign of it recurring within the next month. Just the usual March 'coming in like a lion' in the long range models at the moment. After the equinox, an easterly is more likely to bring warm and dry weather rather than cold and snow. It's not certain that it won't happen, but the possibility is decreasing rapidly.
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    @Newboy2 Hi sorry. "Blow away" is one of those metal framed plastic sheet mini greenhouses.
    They have a reputation for taking off in windy weather. :D:o

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,187
    That’s what I sometimes call my plastic greenhouse😀,  if it’s not fixed to the wall it will blow away. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    I hope yours does not too often Lyn. It must be awful to lose whatever is growing in them/it.
    Ours has not yet but I know it might, dread it happening, I know I would find it very upsetting.
    Sorry wandering off topic. Blown off course....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    It's Spring as long as you avoid all those ridiculous February bedding plants. It'a very definitely Spring in my garden, lots of flowers and bees
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,447
    I had a big bumble bee very happy on the winter honeysuckle flowers.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • It was spring today! How do I know? I was working in just a tee-shirt :smile:  But winter might return, though the forecasts seem good at the moment.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    T- shirt for me too and I ALMOST changed into my short as I was digging/building raised beds and was sweating like a leaky gutter! Spring is absolutely here, frost will continue until May so I don’t place much bearing on that... bees are out, bulbs are out and trees are budding up.. it’s Spring! 😀
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,187
    Rubytoo said:
    I hope yours does not too often Lyn. It must be awful to lose whatever is growing in them/it.
    Ours has not yet but I know it might, dread it happening, I know I would find it very upsetting.
    Sorry wandering off topic. Blown off course....

You need to rope them to a fence or wall, making sure the rope is around the top joints, not on the upright bars. 
    I’ve got quite a few, I’ve learnt over the years how to fix them.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.