Forum home Garden design

replacing lawn with stones and slabs

13»

• Oh @johnmcandrew66 you decided to use your first post here to castigate another poster's decision from back in May...seems mean and unnecessary. It works for them, that's good enough for me. As they say, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.
    "castigate" is hardly fair; the intention was to be helpfully direct but diplomatic. I Googled "slabs as stepping stones on lawn", stumbled across this thread for ideas and decided to helpfully give my opinion on this thread. Mistakes can always be corrected providing they're dispassionately pointed out.

What I find odd is that there is lawn still growing in the updated picture, while the sun is shining towards the patio at the other end: doesn't make sense to me.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972

What I find odd is that there is lawn still growing in the updated picture, while the sun is shining towards the patio at the other end: doesn't make sense to me.
    In what way does it not make sense?

I hadn't seen the update until now, and I think it's been a good decision, although paving in shade can also have it's own problems when it's wet. What matters most though,  is someone having a garden that suits their needs. 
    I'm not sure I would have kept the little strip of grass though. Perhaps an opportunity for some mixed planting instead @notgreenfingersbutwant ? You could have a bit of 'airy' height too, which will separate the two main areas, using something like Verbena bonariensis, or even a simple trellis type screen with a climber.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....