Forum home Garden design

replacing lawn with stones and slabs

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    Yes - you need a decent base for the gravel, as KT says.

The general rule is, no more than three kinds of hard landscaping. The reason is that more than that makes it far too busy and messy, especially in a small space. It's a good rule to stick with   ;)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• owd potterowd potter teapot townPosts: 833
    Hiya.
    Some good valid comments and points in posts above. To achieve what I think you are basically trying to do a substantial foundation or subbase is not really essential, but you do need to create a well compacted surface to prevent too much movement of the pavings.
    I would summarise the basic steps as: 
    1. remove turf and, depending on the type of subsoil that you have (a granular soil is what you really want for this), level then compact the ground well. If you are the energetic type, do this manually with a rammer or sledge etc, or hire a compacter for the day. 
    If your soil is not granular then ideally you need to lay a couple inches of gritty soil. compact this well.
    2. Lay a weed suppressing membrane or mesh. (optional, if you want one)
    3. lay an inch or 2 of sharp sand (concrete sand, not bricklaying (red) sand), level this using a level on a 2.5m length of timber, and lightly compact 9Dont over do this as you want to compact the paving into the sand later. 
    4. lay your pavings on sand, again lay them over a reasonable area and get them all level with a length of timber. Some will rock. Lift them individually and fill with sand as required. Compact them into the sand bed using the length of timber over the slabs and hitting with a mallet or lump hammer (do not hit slabs directly. They WILL break) 
    5. once you have the paving reasonably levelled and compacted fill the joints with a dry sand and cement mix brushed into the joints.
    6. HAVE A BEER, or your beverage of choice.
    Having said all that, I would first consider why the grass is failing. From the posts, if the ground is generally wet or waterlogged (which may explain it) then you need to first consider drainage of the site.
    Best of luck..
    Owd  

Just another day at the plant...
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    There's too much shade for grass to thrive - that's why it's failing, owd potter  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Good morning all. For all those that helped, advised and guided me in this little journey, thank you. 

I can happily say my project is finished and I now have a usable garden to host in. 

Here’s a couple of pictures from the front and back. 

The plan this weekend is to fill the borders and pots with colours. 

Thank you all again. 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    edited May 2019
    If you're using a mixture of materials, have a look on Freecycle.  For everyone installing hard landscaping, there's someone like me who's greedy for growing space and has slabs, bricks etc to get rid of.

Years ago, my mum bought a few tons of broken paving slabs from the local highways department, they delivered it to her house.  Some was laid as crazy paving for her by a friend, and she loose-laid the rest to build two raised beds.  
  • completely agree josusa47.   I forgot to mention that other than the sharp sand I bought, all has been sourced from freecycle and other recycle sites.  I cleared all my mess and took other peoples mess via freecycle.  It does take a bit longer as you have to wait for people to post or take but saved a small fortune and did my bit to help others by giving and taking unwanted mess 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    Let's hear it for Freecycle, loveitloveitloveit.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,997
    <3 Freecycle,  it's come in very handy for getting rid of stuff.
    I also  <3@nongreenfingersbutwant 's hard work. I like crazy paving, OH laid a path at our first house and l just loved the cottage garden look it gave. Maybe one day it will reappear at Chelsea and become fashionable again !
  • Far too much concrete in my opinion; your original garden was a work of art and I applaud who ever designed it. I feel you should have gone back to the designers who could have modified it slightly making it more practical while retaining its professional look. I think this all shows how careful we need to be in not forgetting the practical reality of a garden.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    Oh @johnmcandrew66 you decided to use your first post here to castigate another poster's decision from back in May...seems mean and unnecessary. It works for them, that's good enough for me. As they say, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow