Forum home Tools and techniques

European supplier of plant supports?

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,609
    edited February 2019
    @Nollie - I buy from Harrod Horticultural quite a lot. Excellent company with very fast delivery in the UK - obviously I’ve never looked at delivery for Europe.

Their products are not the cheapest but they are very good quality. In terms of small supports I’ve bought their grow-through grid circles (which are very strong) and the Y-shaped supports. 

I have various sizes of the Y-shaped supports. The main stem is very strong. The arms are flexible (so seem less sturdy) and I use them mainly to hold up plants I forgot to stake earlier in the year. Certainly robust enough for rudbeckia, hardy geraniums etc. I was concerned the arms might become more brittle but 3 years on mine are still going strong. I use the grow-through grid-circles over big clumps of stuff and they provide excellent support. Just have to remember to put them in before things really get going...

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Good point Lyn glad you pointed that out or I'll have bought the wrong size. I have to pass the building suppliers on my way back so might as well get them if they have then I've got the ready to use. Thanks again. Must go get ready as it about half hours drive to the dentist. Will come back later and let you know if I managed to to some rods. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,473
    I make grow through supports from sheep fencing, cut into squares and leave an end in each corner which you can wrap around a cane. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,269
    All Harrod Horticultural things are sturdy. They used to make trawler nets before the bottom fell out of the market.😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,473
    😀😀😀😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,272
    How much are the metal rods for those who want to make their own supports? On eBay I can buy 5 supports for just over £20 inclusive of post and packing. Admittedly I have to take the size and style provided but I save time in not making them myself as well as time and money in not having to drive to the steel stockholders to buy the raw materials.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,936
    You need a builders' merchant, not a DIY store.   The kind that sell roofing beams, tiles, electrical and plumbing stuff and have huge piles of aggregate and stuff plus the metal grid for reinforcing concrete which, by the way, makes indestructible, flexible and discreet trellis.

Check prices for rods there before ordering ready made supports or rods online.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,151
    Thanks for the votes for HH, @Topbird and @pansyface, will definitly ask them for a shipping quote as well then.

Builders merchants don’t sell them either @Obelixx, (reinforcing mesh for concrete, yes) one needs a carpenteria metalica for that around here, but I have to travel quite a distance there and back to my nearest. Its not always about price, for me - and gawd knows, I have enough diy and construction jobs to be getting on with - if I can buy a product ready made and tailored to the job I will.
  • Hi Lyn, back from the dentist. Went in to the building suppliers, they didn't know what I wanted so I thought they can't sell them. Build can in what do you want love, I told him and what they were for he had three pieces on his van which he was taking along with a load of wood to the tip. I now have a load of wood and three pieces of the thick wire which he kindly bent into shape for me. The wood I want to make a cloche, I already have 25 mts of 25mm blue water pipe. The remainder of the wood I should be able to make a collapsible cloche that can be folder up when not needed. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,151
    Am happy to report that two UK companies, Harrod Horti and plantsupports.co.uk were willing to ship to me and gave quotes. I went with the latter in the end, rapid response, very helpful, good range of sizes, shipping less than half the price of the former. Not plastic coated but a discreet olive green colour. Another item ticked off! I need to get the garden and borders in good shape and, as requested, ‘bursting with colour’ for OH’s 60th birthday garden party in June. Somehow the to-do list seems just seems to be getting longer...