European supplier of plant supports?

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,553
Does anyone know of a supplier of decent, sturdy plant supports for perennials? Hoops, grow-thrus and such like? Ideally green and super-ideally plastic coated so they don’t fry the plants in a full-on sun border. Most UK suppliers don’t ship abroad or perhaps don’t advertise the fact they do. I have sent a few email enquiries to them just in case...

I know I can get some wires and shape/spray/wrap my own, if necessary but my first choice is to buy them if I can, perhaps try out a few different styles to see what suits.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,316
    An excellent company

https://www.harrodhorticultural.com/delivery-info-pgid1197.html

but you might find their payment and delivery mechanism a bit clunky.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 834
    This company is excellent. I’ve used them and can really recommend them. However they’re not good at responding to emails so you’ll have to phone them to see if they deliver abroad.

https://www.gapgardenproducts.com/

They advertise on Amazon but not the full range.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,170
    I make my own using 5mm rusty bars from the builders' merchants.   Probably the best thing Monty's ever done on GW - https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-make-steel-rod-plant-supports/

They can be made tall or short or medium and, being rusty, are practically invisible and last forever.  Cheap too.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 543
    We also make our own using the 5mm bars. You can make them any size to suit and haven't had any problems with them frying the plants in the hot sun.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,714
    I’ve done that as well, although I think I paid over the top price getting the rods from amazon, a builders merchants would be cheaper. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    Hi, Would these be OK for things like Gladioli and Chrysanthemums daisies etc only a friend said she has some plants for me. 
    Gladioli need to be planted deep, at least 6” then they stand up on their own, but they’re very good for chrysanthemums. 

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,553
    Well you are all clearly very virtuous making your own o:) whilst I’m a lazy so and so...I have seen the monty method already, thanks, Obelixx.

Oddly, there are few suppliers of metal rods around here in the back of beyond - the DIY shops don’t have them. Down south, where I used to live, every village had its carpenteria metálica where you could buy metal rods, sheets etc., or they could knock you up whatever you wanted - railings, pergolas, barbecues, plant supports. I know of one on the coast if need be.

Anyway, thanks @pansyface I was looking at Harrod H - they have an offer on Y supports at the moment, you bend the arms into shape - are they sturdy enough, do you know?

@Picidae I hadnt come across that one, cheers, they look perfect, green and plastic coated!

I did once have a climbing plant fry against a metal pergola, floralies, hence thinking wrapped, to be on the safe side, but I guess once the plants grow up the foliage will cover the support anyway.
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    Thanks Lyn, I thought the Gladioli might might need support as we have a very windy back garden but yes Chrysanthemums would need need supporting. Iv'e just looked on line and they can a bit like a sail if the wind gets up. Looks like I'm off the the building suppliers after the dreaded dentists today. 
    @Dee73. When you do buy your rods make sure you calculate for the circle size you want plus the 2 legs to go well into the ground.  I bought them 3 mts but wished I’d bought 4mts.