Forum home Wildlife gardening

Frog

BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
Disturbed a hibernating frog today will he survive if we have a cold spell

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,335
    Put him back where you found him, make sure there is some loose compost or straw he can huddle under if it turns cold.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,523
    People have reported frog spawn already in various places around the country so they're out and active at the moment. The weather is set to stay mild so it should be able to sort itself out as long as there's places for it to hide away if needs be.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Thank you for your replies. I was tidying up in the garden and he was under an old large geranium that I wanted rid of. Put the fork under to lift it and he jumped out from right by the fork. Lucky frog 🐸
  • Are the frogs still hibernating (sorry I don't know anything about these things!), only they are very active at night in my garden at the moment. 
    Blimey are you seeing them or hearing them 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,440
    The noise has been deafening when they were mating, they've  finished now and gone quiet. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

My pond is small only measuring about 3ft square and garden is surrounded by a 7 ft fence so wasn't expecting frogs but one day last spring a frog climbed over the fence from next door. Wish I had my climbing frog on camera
  • If you have a hole full of water frogs will find it! We have something that I laughably call a pond, though it looks more a nuclear power plant cooling pond, and frogspawn has been laid in it.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,440
    My daughter hasn’t got a pond but she has lots of frogs, they spawn in her outside loo, how they get in and out we don’t know, but they do!  she takes it out and puts it in the kiddies sand pool, a hard plastic one. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Outside toilets  :):) is it still in use