Forum home Problem solving

Should I feed my laurel trees now? I need them to grow...

Hello, a few years ago our neighbours took down some trees which left our garden far less private than it was previously. We bought some 6ft laurel trees because we needed height quickly (we are planning on moving this year). Although the laurels are doing well we now need them to have a big growth spurt before people start looking around our house when we sell it. Do you think I should feed them now or wait until March? I also chopped the spindly bits off at the top last year and cut back the bottom which is really thick now but didn't see much progress height wise or much more bushiness at the top. Thanks in advance!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,267
    Nothing to lose, I suppose...
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,547
    The rest of February is supposed to be mild so I would take a chance and feed them now.  You've got a 50/50 chance of either encouraging new growth or getting that new growth frosted if the weather then turns bad in March. Impossible to predict either way but I really don't think any future buyers will be put off buying as long as they can see that the hedging is in place, just assure them it grows really fast.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    If you're moving, Julie,  I wouldn't worry too much about them. People won't be swayed about the potential purchase based on the height of your hedge. Having the garden tidy is a bigger attraction  :)
    Ideally, it would have been better to buy smaller specimens.  It's a common query we get on the forum, and it's usually false economy to spend lots of money on bigger plants. Bigger ones take longer to establish, and the best way to get them growing well is to take a couple of feet off them after planting. Once established [and that can take a year or two] laurels will easily grow 2 or 3  feet a year, and in width too.

However, you are where you are. You could give them a general feed, and as Lizzie says -  the new growth may get some weather damage, but that's easily sorted by a little pruning in better weather conditions. You can then simply maintain the hedging over the coming months as you see fit.
    It would be more beneficial to cut the height back a good bit to encourage better, bushier growth, but if you decide to do that,  I'd leave it for another month or so, and it will also depend on when you intend selling etc. If anyone asks, you can always explain the removal of the 'privacy trees'. No one would be worried about the hedge not being as high as they might like it at the moment.   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I really appreciate the responses thank you! This is the second full year the trees have been in so fingers crossed they really take off now. I'll buy some feed and maybe wait a few weeks and then go for it. What's the best feed do you think?