Forum home Fruit & veg

what's happened to orange paruche tomatos ?

• Chris314Chris314 Posts: 45
    I don't use Ebay much due to bad experiences but since they seem to be the only ones with stock I've put an order through and fingers crossed.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,629
    Do be aware that the seed from the above link are F2 seed and not F1 - which is stated in the ebay description.
    Not my area of expertise, but I believe that F2 seed will produce plants similar to the parent plant but not necessarily identical - but don't take that as gospel
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Pete.8 said:
    Do be aware that the seed from the above link are F2 seed and not F1 .....

Oops - I didn't notice that and you're quite right: F2's can be inconsistent which makes them a bit of a gamble.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,629
    My guess would be that the seller has just saved seed from the F1 variety that they have grown.
    Fingers crossed they're ok.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,346
    My apologies @Chris314, l hadn't spotted that either. I checked the seller's feedback which seemed okay. Fingers crossed they will turn out to be "true" , if not it's my fault :/ .
    I can't find any reason for a UK shortage. 
    I'll grow a few Sungold's too to be safe !
  • These are by far my favourite, and I've been struggling to source seed for the past couple of years too.  I did manage to get hold of a few seed last year, but since tomatoes are actually perennial plants I decided to try an experiment and overwinter 4 side shoots on the kitchen windowsill. 

I now have 3 generations of plants (24 in total) from those side shoots in my light box.  I've had to prune the first 2 generations, as they became quite leggy, but the 3rd seem to be doing well (planted deep in 9cm pots) and are 6" tall.  The biggest problem I've had is knowing when to stop! 

I'll report on their progress if anyone's interested?

Mags
    These are by far my favourite.....

....I'll report on their progress if anyone's interested?

Mags
    I ended up buying the F2's from EBay - they're growing nicely at the moment and look very healthy. I've also got some Sungold as standby.

• Chris314 said:
    I ended up buying the F2's from EBay - they're growing nicely at the moment and look very healthy. I've also got some Sungold as standby.
    I bought some last year before I realised that the listing didn't say F1, but didn't try them as I managed to get a few F1 seed.  I only have a small garden, so didn't want to risk them not coming true.  I'd be interested to know how you get on with them though, and will keep my fingers crossed for you. :-:smile: