Forum home Fruit & veg

what's happened to orange paruche tomatos ?

Chris314Chris314 Posts: 35
edited February 2019 in Fruit & veg
We've been growing F1 Orange Paruche tomatos for a few years now. As far as we're concerned they are easily the best 'semi-cherry' variety, which crops profusely and has wonderful flavour.
BUT - this year I cannot get seed anywhere. Mr Fothergill used to stock them but on Amazon and direct to Fothergill they are ' not available'. Homebase used to have them, but currently not listed.
Other places claim to have them, but when I check they say they have none in stock.

Has it for some reason been removed from some 'approved list' that I don't know about ?

In the end I've settled for F1 Sungold, which I'm told are 'almost as good'....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,171
    I bought tomato seeds from Simpson's this year and they have them in stock
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks - I'll take a look
  • pbffpbff Posts: 433
    🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • Here we are again: impossible to find o.p. Seeds again. 
    We grew Sungold last year as a stopgap but nothing like as good.
    What's going on? 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,740
    edited February 2020
    This site says waiting for new stock whch has been delayed but doesn't say why - https://www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk/acatalog/Orange-Fizz-F1-S_TOM266.html 

If you're feeling very rich you could try grafted plants -
    https://seeds.suttons.co.uk/gardening/Tomato-Orange-Paruche
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Have you tried Ben's Seeds & Stuff? Lots of unusual tomato varieties there 🍅
    🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • Ben's are showing as not available, and no I don't feel rich (£10 per plant ??!!)
    I suspect whoever developed the variety gave up on them for some reason.
    Is there any way to find out the name of the breeder ?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,171
    Why not drop Simpson's an email and ask when they're expected to be in stock.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    How about Jungle Seeds? 
    🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,740
    American sites have them in stock so maybe it's the UK supply chain that's broken.  

I'd rather go for a heritage variety myself as they are more likely to self seed or set seed you can keep for the following season.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw