Forum home Tools and techniques

Can anyone recommend (or comment) about membership to Gardenadvice.co.uk service?

2»

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    there are so many free sources of advice on the internet. You have to pick and choose, some are ignorant. With a huge group like the GW forum you usually find someone who can answer any question
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,167
    That gardening service does say they’ll pay a visit to your garden. 
    But whose to say they know what they are talking about, there’s some rubbish advise on the net,   Even RHS,  they contradict themselves often!  
    I stopped buying the GW mag for that reason, Monty on one page and TItmarch on the other, saying opposite.  (Not the only reason, ) 
    It all depends on your weather, goodness of soil etc. 
    Even on this forum, I cringe at some of the advise,  I think if I did that I’d lose the plant.   which goes to show that every area is different. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• It was the idea that they would advise and help me plan my planting scheme that would work in my garden and help me ensure the soil conditions would work for them which really made me consider paying to join. I work hard in my garden and love to see it in May, June, July, then  get so frustrated in August when it all falls apart. For example, Perennial Geraniums which started off lovely, become really leggy and I end up having to cut them right back even while they’re still flowering, leaving big holes in the beds...the same happens to my lupine which have looked amazing in flower, but then leave a great gaping hole (I probably shouldn’t have cut back the stems after flowering!). Some plants just don’t do anything ... my hydrangea has never yet flowered successfully ( but it does have lovely black stems) etc etc.   I’m obviously  a more enthusiastic gardener than knowledgeable...but I still keep trying and hoping ‘this year 😀).  So, unless this garden service is a complete scam, it might just really be invaluable to me ...I’m 70 this year so need to get it right soon 😱. 
  • P.s. but I do manage to grow lots of lovely veg. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,669
    Hardy geraniums grow back in about 3 weeks, especially if you give them some feed after hacking.  Lupin foliage remains attractive so just cut off the flower stalks when done.  Sometimes they send up secondary shoots.   Some hydrangeas flower on previous season's growth so maybe you're pruning out the flowering stems?

Use the RHS plant finding feature to identify flowers that perform in August, September and October to carry on colour and form once the early summer flush is over.  With care, you can have something in flower every month of the year as well as interest form foliage forms, colours and changes and also stem colours and bark texture.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,465
    I wondered if you have a garden centre nearby Patricia (a small independent as opposed to one of the big chains). I know there are some who will come out and give advice, or at the very least be able to advise you face to face as it where. Some may say that they will then try to sell you plants, but they have their reputation to consider so have more to loose - and you don't have to buy from them of course. With regard to the hardy geraniums you have, if you know what variety they are, you can get advice on here, mine also go leggy so l cut them back, give them some water, and within a week or two, they put out fresh growth. As for the planting scheme, hydrangea etc, you could post questions on here (for free :) ),  and see what response you get first. 
  • Thank you for your replies. I do have a nice independent garden centre near by which I go to for my plants. Unfortunately they don’t seem to know a great deal about their plants, but are always willing to look them up in their book for me. I have been very careful about pruning my hydrangea, and the last couple of years, haven’t touched it except to dead head. I’ve had it several years and has never performed well...I feed all the plants in my garden every year, so maybe it just isn’t happy in my soil.  I will take your advice and look it up on this website and see what it recomends. 
  • I have a problem with the Gardenadvice.co.uk service, I purchased a subscription for my wife for her birthday and unfortunately after the first visit we heard nothing back, when we flagged this with their team and requested a refund the Head Gardener said that a refund would be processed. Since that time (a few weeks ago) and despite chasing we are still awaiting the refund. We're disappointed that not only did they fail to provide the service we paid for, and also disappointed that they have not made the promised refund. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,699
    Looking at that site again, it appears to me that someone thinks they've invented a legal way to print money.  Everything about it is totally extortionate. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 276
    My first thought was - I can buy a lot of lovely plants for that money!