Size of Greenhouse

I'm considering my first Greenhouse and wanted to start with a 6' x 6' model. I have two questions to help my decision. Firstly does that size offer me a good opportunity for sowing of seeds and growing some pot plants, such as peppers as well as over wintering succulents and others. Also which is better between horticultural glass and polycarbonate window panels? Any help or opinion would be very welcome. Thank you.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,254
    the biggest greenhouse your site and budget will allow. (it'll never be TOO big , but easily TOO small )
    Glass definitely and not polycarbonate. 
    Look on freecycle as you often see them " free to whoever can dismantle and remove"
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,047
    Yes.  6 x 6 is teeny and you'll kick yourself.   Get the biggest you can a) afford and b) accommodate.  Free is best as Hosta says.  Just take photos of every angle and mark each bit with position - side, front, upper, etc.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,611
    It should do everything you want - usually the advice is to buy the biggest you can afford. As Hostafan1 says, you'll often hear people say that they wish they had a larger greenhouse. Another thing to bear in mind is the size if you want to heat it, you can just heat a section though. Finally unless you have children to consider,  l would go with glass.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,652
    I agree with the above comments about size. 
    I have a 6ft x 2ft greenhouse which I done well from.
    So a 6ft x 6ft greenhouse should be big enough do do what you want, but if can can go bigger you won't regret it
    in the spring- (when I tried sowing tomatoes in Feb... I had to start again.)

in summer

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you all for your replies, you have helped me make my decision so much easier now :-)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,254
    Marcs Dad said:
    Thank you all for your replies, you have helped me make my decision so much easier now :-)
    That's what we're here for . :D
    Devon.
  • HazybHazyb Posts: 274
    @Pete.8  I am looking at a smaller version of what you have, 4x2. Your version is nicer and with a nicer shape  but sadly it wouldn't  fit my space as doors/windows get in the way.

Mine will be placed on a south facing brick garage wall.

Do you have any tips on how to get the best out of it ?

Hi @Hazyb
    I think the main problem is temperature. With such a small area it'll heat up very quickly. I'd often notice it was way into the 30's in the greenhouse, so keep an eye on that. Plants dry out quickly. If you have some old net curtains, they can work as shading.

Apart from that I just used it as a smaller version of a bigger greenhouse.
    I really wanted more space so I got a 10 x 8 greenhouse, but I'd get 4 tomato plants in pots in the little 6x2 greenhouse which produced very well. I also squeezed in a few sweet peppers in pots
    Good luck!
  • HazybHazyb Posts: 274
    Thanks Pete. 

I did think it would be prone to overheating. Will definitely get something for shading! 

I’m going for toughened glass as the garden gets quite windy hence wanting something fixed to the wall. My garden isn’t large.  The one I’m looking at is on offer, free base and free auto vent,  £228. 

Those wire shelves are pricey so looking at alternatives. 

Maybe I will  work my way up to a small greenhouse eventually lol 

Toughened glass is a good idea - much safer.
    Polycarbonate is much cheaper, but not as nice, so if you're going to keep it for a while then go glass.
    As soon as you start you'll wish you had a bigger one though - just sayin ;)