Where to position a garden bench?

I have bought a 5ft garden bench and am wondering where best to position it. I was thinking of the corner of the garden on grass- does anyone else have one on grass? If so how do you cut around it and behind it? Would it be better to landscape that bit or put down bark? 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,850
    I would first install the bench and sit on it a while at different times of day to make sure the position is right.   After that, the decision to put down slabs or gravel or chipped bark depends on your skills, your budget and the style of your garden and the bench.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,819
    edited 17 February
    It depends what it's made of .we have a teak one and it's fine on grass. We just move it when we're mowing 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Sam76Sam76 Posts: 58
    Wooden Turnberry cornis bench
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,943
    We have a hard wood bench, it gets moved about, it’s nice down by the pond. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,329
    Do you prefer to sit in the sun or in shade? As Obelixx suggests, try it in different positions first to see where the best view is or where you feel happiest. Personally I'd put paving down when you've decided  - bark chippings do tend to get chucked all over the lawn by blackbirds.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,918
    Bench on paving slabs is the way to go. I couldn't be bothered  moving it every time to cut the grass. You may want to think about a bench in a sunny spot and a bench in a shady spot. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,741
    You’ll never sit on it, so just put it where it looks prettiest.

I find the minute I sit down I spot a weed or something and off I go...
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,819
    We never sit on any of our either. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Sam76Sam76 Posts: 58
    Thanks guys. Reckon paving was probably the way to go
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,789
    I sit on mine a lot.  It's next to the pond and half way round the garden when it comes to weeding borders or lawn edging and so I collapse on it regularly.  Its on hardstanding and in the shade (apart from early morning). 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands