Forum home Plants

Identifying Bamboo

We recently moved into a house and inherited some bamboo in the garden. We'd like to buy some more of the same kind to fill out the border but are total novice gardeners :) Any help in identifying them would be much appreciated!

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,339
    I don't recommend you buying any more of that... it looks like Phyllostachys bissetti, which is an invasive bamboo, it will not only spread in your garden but underneath the fence to your neighbours too...

Get rid would be my advice on this one..  sorry...   they come cheap at places like B and Q and people pick them up without knowing anything about them...

It's still a young plant.. you've got time.. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,238
    Yes, I agree with Marlorena, they look good but are a nightmare when they spread - which they do rapidly.  Sorry, not what you wanted to hear I'm sure.
  • Thank you both - that's really useful advice. Much appreciated :)
  • Hi, I was given a clump of bamboo last year and was told it is rather invasive. As I wanted it for the patio as a screen I cut it in two and put each in a large tub. Was thinking if you could dig it out you might do the same, at least you would still have the bamboo.