Forum home Problem solving

Identification of animal poo

Can anyone identify what animal is pooing in my garden please? The latest offering I found this morning in one of my large patio pots. Other offerings have been in the front garden on the gravel on the flower bed, in the back garden on the shingle by the garage and also in one flower bed at the back amongst the fallen leaves. I got a nasty shock when I was clearing up the leaves! It is always this pale brown and runny. We do have urban foxes around here as I have seen them in the road at night. I am not aware that any on the neighbours have a cat. 

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Cat / Fox 🤢 🤢

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,909
    Fox I reckon, cats are usually firmer than that, unless it’s got the trots. 💩
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,623
    I thought it was cat's poo Lyn - maybe the cats round my way have digestive problems !
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,106
    Cat poo is usually firmer, like segmented sausages shapes, unless they've eaten something that disagrees with them (there isn't any in the litter tray just now or I'd get you a pic :s ).  Also, most cats make some attempt to kick soil over their poo to bury it.  I'd say fox is more likely.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,526
    The cat poo in my beds can be similar to that and rarely gets buried. The only time I've seen runny fox poo is during plum season but our foxes are rural and generally not feasting on takeaway leftovers and god knows what else. You'd notice the smell from foxes more too. My money is on cats.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • Thanks for the replies. The poo isn't smelly so I was thinking probably a cat. Only thing is that I haven't seen any cats in the garden during the day. 

What is the best way to deter it? Don't like the idea of it pooing in the patio pots. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,623
    edited February 2019
    Cats tend to visit overnight (at least they do in my garden). You could try maybe bits of trellis, pegged down somehow. I have seen advice to use bits of sticks sticking up, but when l tried that, the cat just knocked them out and carried on as usual. You can also buy specific products from the garden centre, but l don't know how successful that would be in pots. My neighbour swears by one of those sonic cat scarer things.
  • I'd say fox poo. Cat poo is smelly. I had the unfortunate incident of my cat pooing in her cat carrier and the odour drifting up from the cars passenger footwell. I didn't breathe through my nose for the rest of the journey.
  • shazza 3shazza 3 Posts: 167
    That's definitely cat poo. Fox is much darker and very smelly, i know cat poo is as well but it's not half as bad as fox. I've had other people's cats pooing in my pots as well, they're a damned nuisance !!! (sorry cat lovers) they also leave their mess over my patio, steps, and pathway !!!! Foxes usually (!!!) poo on the garden, at least they do where i live. I've tried everything and nothing stops them, (cats not foxes) even tried dried lion poo (in pellets) from Longleat to no avail. Hope you are more successful than me, cheers
    shazza 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    I was a bit confused at the answers as being a lifelong cat owner I know that they always try to Bury it. One of mine once did one in a pot like that (still young at the time) but scratched a load of compost out first. So, I think it's more likely foxes. Any one you know got a night camera? 

If it is cats I think there are detergents on the market also they don't like citrus smells, oil or peel. 

I keep a large dirt tray cleaned every day for my cats comfort and to spare the neighbors but I still get next doors cat pooping in my garden. My cat even comes and tells me when she has dirtied the tray and looks at me as if to say 'now clean that up!'