Forum home The potting shed

Hellebore, s

Just starting growing Helebores this year and have a question. 4 of them are spreading their stems from the base. They are almost to the point of laying flat. Is this normal

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,790
    Hi  :)
    Can we see a photo please?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Sorry yes just taken some  As you can see all healthy stems but laying flat  
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,481
    edited February 2019
    They're  perfect.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hi  Lyn thank you , will those stems just die off as the new growth comes through or is that the way these particular two spread. Other Hebores I have are all more upright. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,481
    They will Eddie, you’ve got lots of lovely strong new growth coming up there, no need to worry at all. A nice little collection. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Excellent Lyn, really appreciate your help  
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,616
    There are a couple of old leaves that are lying flat on the floor. I would cut those off. It makes it easier to see the flowers.  Careful not to cut off any new shoots.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thank you, I'll trim those off. I read in one of Graham Rice, s books to keep up on that. 
  • LTobyLToby Posts: 101
    edited February 2019
    Mine had flat-lying leaves and I cut them off. The flowers came out with pride! 
    Roxburgshire, Scotland
  • Thanks LToby I'll do that.