The Frogs are Here

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,091
Got at least 4 frogs in my small pond
Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 684
    Where are you Newboy? Still waiting here in Hertfordshire.. hoping they come out to play during this warm spell..
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,091
    BS7 8RA     Bristol
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 12,794
    Brilliant, don’t forget as soon as they spawn to add it to the Frog Spawn thread.
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1024635/frog-spawn#latest
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 698
    Always a downside 😞. I just watched a programme about butterflies being gobbled up by frogs. Such is nature.
    SW Scotland
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 812
    I watched that programme as well and was astounded to see the frogs jump up to grab the beautiful butterflies. Would never have thought that if I hadn't seen it.  :/
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,091
    Lyn.

Frog Spawn No 1.............Feb 18
                      No 2.............feb 19

I have added the info to the thread as requested

The frogs are Massive !!
  • jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 262
    We have a small pond and had loads of frogs at one point.  We got a dog about 2 years ago and the frog count seems to have reduced. Not sure if her presence / barking has driven them out :-(
  • imelmcbrideimelmcbride Posts: 21
    I found two frogs living in my polytunnel when I put the new one up. Can only find one now the others either a really good hider or leaped off out of here.

There's a pond about five gardens away from here, so I've heard. But there's a loud ish water feature next door. I think they might have thought it was a river. I can just imagine their disgust when they arrived. Its up hill all the way home.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 684
    I can hear croaking in my pond!!! This is just as exciting as sowing seeds! My pond is just over a year old and my neighbours gave me frog spawn last year as their fish were eating it- so I wasn’t expecting any this year. New neighbours drained their pond so hoping the frogs find mine! 😬
  • Did you know frogs can climb as well as leap? I have no idea if they all can but i saw one climbing up our ivy. 

We used to have loads but not so many since i converted the main pond from garden pond to koi pond. Nothing against them but i don't want them in with the koi. 

They still have a decent wildlife pond to do their bump and grind in though. A newt lives there so it must be habitable  

Since the decline in numbers of frogs there has been a vast increase in slug numbers.