Small project

any ideas what I could do in this area ? It’s 4m by 5 m full sun all day .. I was just going to put meadow mat down but I’m not so sure ... 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,776
    As it's near the conservatory evergreen bushes might be nice so you could do a bit of bird watching.Even on a nice warm wall you could put fruit trees, a vine, or even  a wisteria.  All depends on what is around the bed and how much time you want to spend on it.😀
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,088
    edited 16 February
    The meadow idea is a nice idea, but may not look all that good at certain times of year. I think best on a more testing patch away from an area you will see more.

You can look into lower growing Hebes to dot around and have an evergreen shrub in one corner near the wall and think about growing climbers up the wall.

For me, I think a Pyracantha wall trained up against that wall with Choisya Ternata on the right. Geraniums, Sedums, Eryngiums and Gaura Lindheimeri form the bases of the perennials and hardy annuals can fill out the remaining spaces. Try sowing Californian Poppies, Cornflowers and Cosmos. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,338
    Nice big area in full sun - you can have more-or-less anything you like!  I'd have loads of herbaceous perennials in a space like that, but they aren't good for winter interest and take a bit of work - it really depends on what you like and how much time you want to spend on maintaining it.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,318
    I think two water butts on those down pipes might be a good first step, then your plants in full sunshine would have their own water supply.
  • I’m also putting in a beech hedge down along the fence ...some nice ideas , I’ve all the time in the world to maintain what I do 
    A beech hedge would look very good there - but the concrete's a bit of an eyesore. Going back to your original query, if you were thinking meadow mat, do you also like  cottage style ?  If so, a mix of perennials, small shrubs interplanted with bulbs and some evergreens would look good, especially if you've time to maintain the bed. Would rabbits be a problem coming in from the field or are there deer around?
  • Lizzie27 said:
    A beech hedge would look very good there - but the concrete's a bit of an eyesore. Going back to your original query, if you were thinking meadow mat, do you also like  cottage style ?  If so, a mix of perennials, small shrubs interplanted with bulbs and some evergreens would look good, especially if you've time to maintain the bed. Would rabbits be a problem coming in from the field or are there deer around?
    Yeah it really is but I will get the concrete sorted ... yes cottage style ..not rabbits shouldn’t be any problem 
    I would probably put a repeat flowering climbing rose on wires on the wall, then 2 or 3 evergreen flowering shrubs as a background, then a mix of perennials in groups of 3 or 5 plants, coming down to lower height plants towards the front. If you like cottage style, you can happily mix all the colours up, include some grasses and perhaps a small tree towards the front with bird feeders on (or a pole bird feeder) so you can watch them from inside the house.
  • What about a small greenhouse against the wall like this one?
    https://www.hobbydrivhuse.dk/shop/18-royale-vaegdrivhus/

Would be a perfect spot with the all day sun coming in.

And maybe make an ekstra door in the wall, directly to the greenhouse.