Forum home Garden design

Please help with this concrete monstrosity of a front garden

13»

• moragb1moragb1 Posts: 291
    Work has started. Red gravel chips being removed. Then concrete edging and the three jaggy bushes in centre. All plants in a temporary bed. Soil to be levelled and into the existing red stone area and more brought in. I am keeping the outer cream gravel edge and bulb lanes ha ha

I have decided to put in a small lawn with cottage style borders in keeping with the Victorian house. Please could someone give me a plan or idea of suitable lawn shapes and borders??

Thanks

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,783
    My daughter has a circular lawn looks fantastic 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,813
    edited March 2019
    Victorian would be fairly formal and symmetrical - so a circular or oval or square lawn at the 'hinge' of the L, then square up the borders if you can. They did do curves - but generally quite regular ones - circles rather than sweeping arcs. Ideally you'd have some sort of focal point in the centre of the lawn - sun dial, or a statue or a seat
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,653
    Circular or oval (aligned with the long axis parallel to the driveway) would look good and be easy to mow and edge, no fiddly corners.  Bear in mind that you might need to lift the mower over the border unless you make a path right up to it.
    I'll see if I can add a couple of pics of my circular lawns. 'Scuse poor lighting (it's dull out today) and messy borders (too soon for the spring pruning).
    Back garden (overall shape of the garden is a long thin triangle)

Front garden

Thanks ladies. I love circles too. I use to have one in my old house and loved it. xx guy didn't turn up today to remove the chips & concrete. Stayed in all day as he needed power. Should just have done it myself but getting knackered now all the work I have being doing. I will post more photos when we get it all out and soil levelled and maybe get you to tell me where to put the circles xx
  • Little_allotmentLittle_allotment SoutheastPosts: 12
    Beautiful views from the front garden 😍
    Thanks Little_allotment - They are fab and I am very blessed as on Millport, Isle of Cumbrae and blissful on the coast even on a dull day like today xxx
  • Hi
  • Sorry about the Hi, page crashed! Take a look at the Crocus website, Inspiration page. They have ready made border designs to suit all styles including Cottage Gardens. I've planted several of these over the years and found the schemes excellent for height, succession etc. I've just ordered the 'Add Some Oomph' border, it looks lovely!

Thanks Sam. Good to do on a miserable day like today. I have bought things from Crocus when they first started out and a really first class company. I didn't know they had these plans. xx