Forum home Garden design

Please help with this concrete monstrosity of a front garden

• moragb1moragb1 Posts: 291
    Good idea Lizzie. Love Beth Chatto gardens. But I am a perfectionist I would have to change the gravel to all the same and then the edging would still bother me. You are right I could grown things to weep over. Will have a think x Love this forum to throw out things I haven't thought of and believe me my every waking moment is thinking ha ha xxxx
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    If you're  near the coast why not go even more extreme  and do a Dungeness  garden? Another good use for all that gravel.  Good luck  and enjoy  x
    Need to google that tessagardenbarmy ha ha no clue what that is. May do but need a memory refresh xxx
    Googled Durness. The name was familiar. Saw that on a gardening show many years ago. It's fab xx My passion is cottage though xx great idea tessagardenbarmy
  • one thing to be aware of, if its been used for parking the soil will be really compact underneath, if i had the energy (or the money to pay someone) id lift the gravel (i'm assuming there's a weed suppression membrane underneath) and then rotavate and add compost before planting up.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    You may find that although the kerbs appear to be concreted in it may only be shallow and with a pic-axe you might find you can get under and just lever them out.
    I have done this before myself. 

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    Hi Treehugger80 I was sold the house and told this was for extra parking but it would have to be the slimmest car on the planet to get through that space ha ha. I could remove the planters though. It is a quarter Victorian villa and my neighbours have told me cars never parked there. I could adapt it for that use but have a space and no need for it so prefer a lovely garden that I can enjoy. So Doubt the soil compacted. I am getting a guy round to look at it and maybe pay him to do the hard work. Depends on costs. 
    Need ideas on how to lay it out for interest and something a bit different. Don't want grass so need some sort of stepping stones to access plants.
    Thanks
    Thanks Hampshire_hog I think that it will be ok to remove the kerbstones. Hope I'm right ha ha xx soon find out
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,627
    I agree with Tessgardenbarmy, Derek Jarman's garden in Kent is one of the best examples of seaside gardens but more in the style of a cottage garden. You can incorporate barrow loads of compost into that middle area and try to dense plant that area, and in time, those borders will just disappear. Have a look at Steppe planting, best shown at the Barbican by Nigel Dunnett. Mixing small shrubs and multi stemmed trees, this idea can be adapted on a much smaller scale.
    Thanks borderline will have a look xx