Snake's head fritillary

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,919
    Just had a look at photographic records. This is 14th April, a few years ago

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,332
    I have just found my Eryrthonium Pagoda sticking its nose out. I was not sure where they were but they are now  just showing in the last couple of warm days.
    My usual delight when the flowers prove they are still there.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 314
    My snake's heads are just shoots at the moment, which means I will soon have to get out the chicken wire 'chimney' that I put over them each year to stop the flippin' pheasants eating the petals.  The first year we had them I was so pleased as I've loved the plant for ages and bought a pot of them in flower.  They had been in the ground only a few days when the petals started to disappear.  It was only when I was reading an old copy of GW mag that I learnt from Alan Titchmarsh that snake's head fritilleries are strangely attractive to pheasants.........

What with that and the mess they make pecking in the lawn and the huge droppings they leave when roosting in the tree above the decking, they are not a welcome visitor!
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 627
    Ours are well on the way, leaves in abundance, hope to get a good show of both white and purple flowers.
  • I only planted mine just before Halloween so expect that might have an impact on late timing, assuming they're not all dead.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,446
    Went to a nursery yesterday and saw some fritillaries in full flower in pots!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,265
    I can't see any sign of mine, I fear the long hot summer last year probably killed them - I forgot all about them so they didn't get any water.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,300
    Mine are definitely poking their heads through now, a couple are about 3" though most are 1" ish, so you do have get down quite close to spot them.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • No sign of mine yet, but they don’t get much sun and that probably makes a difference. 
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    Lizzie27 said:
    I can't see any sign of mine, I fear the long hot summer last year probably killed them - I forgot all about them so they didn't get any water.
    That's what I'm thinking about mine :(