Forum home Fruit & veg

Best Autumn Raspberry?

I have space for 5 canes of Autumn raspberries. I’m looking at Joan J as it was my mother’s name(😁), however as nice as that is, I’ve never tasted them! So calling all raspberry growers.. what’s your favourite variety and why? 😁

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,877
    Polka.  Highly reliable cropper with large tasty berries.  What's not to like?!  :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 852
    I’m looking at Ashridge nursery as they sell individual canes bareroot, (although I’ve not used them before other than bulbs) so may get a mix. Thanks Bob!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,258
    Bob, I bought 6 Polka plants last spring. They didn't do much all year and I'm unsure whether I should cut down the stems or not now. Can you advise please? (Apologies to Flinster) 
    That’s ok Lizzie! Polka is autumn fruiting and fruits on new wood. Canes should be cut sometime between Dec and Feb ( although you can cut half the canes and the remaining ones will fruit early like summer varieties while the cut ones fruit as usual- repeat as a cycle each year).
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,343
    Another vote here for Polka ... lots of large tasty fruits and no maggots ... perfick!  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,933
    edited February 2019
    I have Polka too - delicious and 4 canes produce more than enough for 2 of us.

They got their winter chop earlier this week😇
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,877
    Are these the raspberry canes you were going to grow in pots, Flinster or have you found space in the ground? That might make a difference re people’s recommendations. My newly planted Joan J (chosen because they are more compact, thorn-free and allegedly tasty) are just peeking up above ground!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,808
    I like Polka too.
    Cut to the ground around now. Give them a mulch and a bit of a feed between now and March.
    Pick in September.
    How easy is that?
    Good to freeze for winter puddings if you have too many.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Nollie said:
    Are these the raspberry canes you were going to grow in pots, Flinster or have you found space in the ground? That might make a difference re people’s recommendations. My newly planted Joan J (chosen because they are more compact, thorn-free and allegedly tasty) are just peeking up above ground!
    Yes Nollie! I managed to rejig my layout so have a small bed for raspberries, although I might still get a Joan J..:) Thanks for all the feedback! Polka looks like a winner! Topbird glad 4 canes gives a good yield as wondered how worthwhile 5 canes would be- sound perfect for us! Although I’m not expecting miracles in the first year! 😀
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,877
    Oh I’m glad you found the space, they will do so much better in the ground. They do seem to take a year or two to get going properly, tho, so patience required (not my strong point!).