Forum home The potting shed

Green house all glass to floor. ? Or glass halfway?

After reading the member, "visiter" taking down an old greenhouse and lyns has pointed out that while nothing grows below the shelving very good I cannot deny this point . 
Though I use this lower part for storage of my pots and trays.

But I  am interested in what the other members experience is on the half bricked greenhouse........the disadvantages and if at all any advantages against the full glass . 
Your views will help me decide on the previously asked question.

Thank you .

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    mine is full glass, I think if I was starting again I'd have brick up to bench height to offer some shade if needed and for storage
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,839
    Friends of ours in Belgium imported a large and very posh greenhouse form the UK.  It has brick walls up to table height and then staging at that height along the long wall opposite the door which is in the middle of the other long side. The space underneath is used for storage including pots of bulbs and other plants that don't appreciate being frozen.   

The two sides of the other long wall have no shelving and are used to grow tomatoes, cucumbers etc.   The outside of those two bits have built in cold frames.  It's a tall structure so there's plenty of light and that has to be the main consideration in a greenhouse - height and light for growing tender plants.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,415
    I think the half bricked greenhouses are supposed to regulate the internal climate a lot better than the all glass ones. You have a lot more thermal mass to control temperature swings and porous surfaces to control humidity. Glass is a lot cheaper than brick and does have advantages in terms of light to low level though.

A client of mine treated herself to a nice size cedar-framed greenhouse with a brick plinth to bench height. I saw it just after it was finished and I must admit to being more than slightly envious :o One day...
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,928
    I would say it depends what you want to use it for, you would need glass to ground on at least one side for tomatoes etc. If for more ornamental plants then half and half. I'd love a half brick greenhouse, mine is half red cedar like the one in the cottage garden at Barnsdale - after 30 years it's still going strong but maybe one day (or lottery win :) )
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,481
    It depends it on how much you want to grow, just having window height to put plants and trays would be no good to me, my plants are on shelves right to the bottom,   if you don’t grow much then one level of planting space is fine.

its an expensive way of storing pots and trays. I’ve got a big chest type container for that, which didn’t cost very much.

they do look nicer, I have to admit, and I’d love one, but only for the look of it, not practicality.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,415
    edited February 2019
    I won't really be happy until I have this and even then I'll probably wish it was bigger.

That’s  gorgeous, you can split the cold frames along the length, fill then in at the back with fresh dung and grow pineapples. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,839
    I've never met any gardener who didn't want a bigger greenhouse, or another one........
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Too true Obi, it’s like glass/plastic city here, gh’s all over the place. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,928
    Off to buy a euromillions ticket - l love that greenhouse !