Forum home Fruit & veg

My new veg garden is ready!..almost..

I’m so proud of myself! I built these beds by myself (while hubby told me to watch my back 😡), levelled the site as much as I could and my compost arrives this afternoon! Once that’s in I can put down the landscape fabric and bark chip and I can finally get my garlic in! A tiny little shed is going in where the wheelbarrow is along with a dalec and water butt and a trellis arch will go at the end of the long bed on the left for squash or beans etc. I’ve left an open area for pots of herbs, flowers and blueberries in pots, which I will move in winter and erect a cold frame. I managed to squeeze in a small bed for raspberries so don’t need to grow in pots any more! I can’t wait to see it growing!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,487
    Looking good.   Happy growing and sowing.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • RubyRossRubyRoss Dublin, IrelandPosts: 61
    You should be proud; it's hard work and looks great! 
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 878
    Thank you! I was going to do a more formal layout, which would have looked prettier, but would have reduced my growing space quite a lot, so it’s a happy compromise! 😀
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Well done Flinster 👍. It looks a really good job you've done there. I hope all the hard work you've put in rewards you with a bountiful year ahead.

It would be lovely to watch your new veg garden as it develops through it's first year. Please keep us updated.
    Thanks, I will. I’m slightly concerned about the composted manure/mushroom compost mix that was delivered today. It’s not as well composted as I was expecting, so I’m expecting a varied first year- the winter squash will be happy though lol!
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,061
    The soil is a long term project IME anyway, so it'll be fine. Your carrots might need to go in pots, but your beans, brassicas and spuds will all be as happy as the cucurbits  :)
    It looks really good - wish mine was as tidy
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
    Thanks Raisingirl! I have one bed that should be ok for carrots as the manure/compost that went in there was better- if they fork it’s not the end of the universe- might grow short ones this year to be on the safe side! 😀
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,190
    What a lovely large garden you have, I began growing fruit and veg in my back garden but the space soon became too small as my interest grew. 

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress. Are those fruit tree's in the back ground?  
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Zoomer. It’s not as large as it looks, but not tiny.. we always want bigger lol! The plants in the background are honeysuckle and a cotoneaster. The space they grow in is tiny(only about 30cm wide. Until recently the area was also heavily shaded by a large conifer next door which overhung, but it’s gone now! The garden is developing bit by bit and in about 3 years or so my veg garden will move up to the top level where there is more space (unless I decide to get an allotment!) but at the moment my kids are young and still use the lawn and trampoline. Once the plot moves we will move the retaining wall further in so there is better growing space. I’m putting a little shed where the cotoneaster is so will move that to another section of fence by the pond. I’ve thought about fruit trees but I’m the only big veg/fruit eater (my hubby dabbles), so I’m going for raspberries and blueberries as I eat them most days at breakfast! 😀
    Result! 2 Blueberry bushes being bought for my birthday in a couple of weeks!