Forum home Wildlife gardening

Pond plant ID

Just spotted this in the pond.. not planted by me, any ideas? Hope you can see it lol!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,186
    Hi Flinster. Its a bit difficult to see the plant. Is it actually under the water?
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    Yes it seems to have rooted at the bottom about 60cm or so. At first I thought it was hornwort but it’s much looser and the whorls are elongated, it’s very delicate looking!
    I’m just worried it’s something invasive so want to ID it before it goes mad!
    Could it be this?
    Image result for Potamogeton pusillus invasive water plants uk

No I don’t think so. Looking at the photos it appears the leaves are coming of in a whirl of 7, but hard to see I know. Might have to fish some out tomorrow ..
    Just been out with a torch and got some!
    This?
    Related image

Mom possibly, can’t see how many leaves in each whorl as mine is consistently 7.. looks similar though.. what is it? Please say it isn’t something horrific! I was worried about parrot feather but that is 5 in a whirl so don’t think it’s that!
    Well that plant is an alga called Nitella or Stonewort to give it its common name. It was the nearest I could find to your sample but it may not be that.
    Thanks Ladybird4, I think it’s the closest match so far! I am assuming this is not a reason for me to panic! I will have a google and a read.