Nerine bulb depth

linzijayne74linzijayne74 Droitwich, WorcestershirePosts: 108
Hi there.  I've recently bought some Nerine bulbs from a well-known supermarket.  I plan on planting them in a pot, facing South.  I haven't grown them before.  The instructions tell me to plant the bulbs 10cm deep but it was always my belief that Nerine bulbs should be planted with the 'necks' exposed?  I've looked online but I'm getting rather mixed advice on this.  Any input gratefully accepted!  Please and thank you in advance.  :)

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,928
    I plant them with the point just showing out of the compost. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• linzijayne74linzijayne74 Droitwich, WorcestershirePosts: 108
    Hi @Lyn, thank you for your reply.  Yes, that's what I was led to believe, to plant with their noses just about on show!  Strange that my recent purchase instructions tell me to plant them 10cm deep?!  Hey ho.  
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,927
    @Lyn is correct.
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
    Thanks @punkdoc.  I'm wondering it's suggesting to plant them 10cm deep as it says they're semi-hardy and therefore they'll have a bit of protection from inclement weather?  Anyway, you and Lyn have confirmed my thoughts.  Thank you.  
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,371

The extra depth is indeed for frost protection:

From the RHS page on nerines: Ideally plant bulbs 10cm (4in) apart with the neck of the bulb just exposed. However, in cold areas plant 5cm (2in) deep to help protect from frost.

In a pot you can bring them into a frost-free place for the winter so they'll be fine with the necks showing.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,928
    I can’t grow them outside, I have them in pots and keep them in the GH until I see the flower buds, then put them on the patio or in the conservatory. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks @JennyJ and @Lyn for your replies.  I'll be planting mine in the next day or so with their noses peaking out!  Thanks for your help.