Poorly Conifer

harmonyharmony Posts: 162
Hi, any idea whats wrong with my Conifer and could it be saved or has it had its day. If its doomed I will be left with a gap so any idea's for a replacement would be welcome. Maybe a fast growing tall shrub at least 6ft. The Conifer is at least 20yrs old and started going brown last spring/summer so maybe "beast from the  east"!!. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,167
    I have to be honest, l have no idea, but this may be of some help
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=132
    Personally, after 20 years it may well have had it's day. If you do decide to get rid of it, make sure that the whole tree is removed and no stump left. You will need to dig in lots of compost etc as there will be virtually no goodness left and the soil will be extremely dry. What sort of position is it in, sunny, shady etc. ? This will help with ideas for a replacement  :)
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,925
    It's dead/dying, it can't return from that :( 
    I lost a conifer over last season, I think the heat and drought was more to blame than the beast.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,990
    Heat, but mostly drought, as nut says - not cold. 
    That won't recover, so look on it as an opportunity for something nicer.
    Bear in mind that a 'fast growing shrub' won't just stop at six feet. If it grows quickly to that height, it'll keep going.  ;)
    As Anni says - there will be plenty of choice if you can offer some ideas of your likes/dislikes and the general conditions etc .
    And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• harmonyharmony Posts: 162
    The conifer is in morning / early afternoon sun and the soil is normal/clay. I would prefer something flowering and evergreen. The Conifer is between a laurel and a Spirea ( the one with the pink flowers in summer ) and there are a few hardy geraniums around the area that flourish so I don't think the soil is too bad. I do like Butterfly bush and Lavatera both for their beautiful flowers but their not evergreen so I really don't know what to do at the moment and i'm putting off removing the Conifer. Any suggestions welcome.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,454
    Don't put off removing it.  Get it out asap and do some soil improving as it will have sucked all the nutrients out of its soil.

Then you can see the space left more clearly and take the time to decide what would suit you and the soil best.  Have a wander round local streets and parks to see what grows well in your area and also what pleases you.  Check out local nurseries and/or garden centres to see what's available too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,167
    Literally off the top of my head, nandina (evergreen), not flowers but red berries. Pyracantha,  white flowers loved by bees, followed by berries in autumn/winter, and Daphne. I agree with Obelixx,  l understand your reluctance to get rid of it, but you can spend a further period of time watching it getting browner and browner, or get it out now and get the soil prepared ready for Spring planting. There are so many options out there.  :)
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,195
    @Marlorena was recommending an evergreen daphne in a recent thread - this one:

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1024651/daphne-bholua-jacqueline-postill

- could be a possibility for your new space!
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,821
    there are plenty of columnar trees you can get, i have a nice cherry tree, 10 foot tall and only 1 foot wide, and beautiful double flowers in the spring.