Hakonechloa macra

MayLaneMayLane Posts: 180
Does anyone have this? I planted a few last year and they remained very small. Are they slow growing? I was after something lush looking that spills over raised beds and a sunken patio. Wondering whether I should buy more.

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 1,106
    I have Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola',and it's a really good plant.. just a bit slow in the first year only, then it quickly spreads to make good clumps... produces flowers later in summer and good autumn colour when it turns a golden brown.. of course this is the aureola version, I don't have the plain green one.. so I don't know how that operates... much the same I imagine..

I also have one in a pot...  here is the main one spilling over an edge..

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,800
    I have it as well. I think it took a few years to get to a good size, but it's a decent size of plant now.
    I've also plucked out a few little pieces to grow on for other spaces.
    Found some pix -
    July 2014 - newly planted

May 2018, just getting into growth, and it spread quite a bit by late summer

Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• MayLaneMayLane Posts: 180
    They look lovely. Just what I want. I think I'll get a few more.

Your phormium, do you have anything planted in front of it? I also have on on the raised bed along the sunken patio and have some berginas in front but they are a bit crowded there. Was wondering how to keep the soil at the front if the phormium looking nice if I removed them.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,800
    Not in front of that one MLane. It's a run of raised beds along the fence line, and the phormium is in the front of the widest one.
    I do 'prune' it every year though- removing all the tatty leaves after the winter has decimated them, so I take a good bit away. I'd just done it when this pic was taken, and I'd taken more off than I usually would as it had got quite big. It becomes quite full again by summer when the young, newer leaves grow.

Tall daffs/narcissus would grow through the foliage, and maybe some tall perennials like salvias or agastaches, or even geums, but it would depend how  much room you have, and how much time you want to spend managing it. 
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong