Plants to cover a pond edge

We need a few plants that will drape over the edge of a pond to cover a few unsightly areas. Any suggestions? I'm happy to use grasses for cover for amphibians too

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,242
    edited 10 February
    Working in a garden the other day , I noticed a pond in the centre of the lawn had spreading Sedums growing around the edges . Obviously to hide a 'multitude of sins' , they didn't seem to mind being almost partially submerged in near freezing water .

This may seem a bit odd , as they're normally planted in rockeries .
  • lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 268
    I've got a couple of bergenia next to mine, the large leaves cover the pre formed edge
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,988
    I've used creeping thyme 'Jeka' (3") to hide the edge of my fibreglass pond on one side, and Greek oregano (4-6") on the other side. Both have worked very well. The thyme has the benefit of keeping its evergreen leaves over winter. They need lots of sun and free draining soil
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,800
    It does depend on the aspect and the nature of the soil they're going in, but Carexes and Hostas will work well , although Hostas aren't evergreen.
    Bergenias are a very good suggestion. Hellebores would also be useful if the conditions are right. Moist soil and a bit of shade. Heucheras too if you have moisture. All evergreen.
    The marsh marigolds- Caltha - droop over, and can be planted in the shallow edes, and although technically not evergreen, they are rarely without foliage. I have a corkscrew rush which tumbles over rocks and the pond edges. Juncus effusis spiralis. It's readily available and needs very little care too. 
    If you have reasonably dry soil, and some sun, Libertias are very useful. They look like a grass, and also have small flowers in spring. 
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 285
    I've got "Creeping Jenny",don't  know  it's proper name,Aguga, ivy and some stone crop has sneaked in and doesn't  seem  to  mind getting  wet.
    I have Ajuga too tgbarmy. It grows into the shallow water and stays there quite happily  :)
    I know where I belong

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 620
    We too had some Ajuga growing in the middle of a stream on a slightly raised bit. It got submerged pretty regularly but didn't seem to care. Amazed me as I'd always associated it with sun and fairly dry areas before. I'm now planting it on the steep sides of a ditch in an attempt to stabilize the bank.
  • Thank you ajuga sounds like a good solution

Ajuga is always a good recommendation for damp/shady spots, but it also copes very well with drier, sunnier spots.  :)
    It's also very easy to propagate. It spreads by little 'runners' so you can detach those and pot up once they have some reasonable roots, and grow them on for planting later.
    I know where I belong