Duchess of Cambridge creates magical woodland garden for the Chelsea Flower Show

1235»

• cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 112
    Totally agree,Dove.
  • Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 464
    Why isn’t this garden included into People’s choice Award???
    I was wondering the same too but as the RHS paid for it, they couldn't judge it too.  Perfectly understandable!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,505
    The RHS sponsors gardens itself to highlight and promote particular projects and activities within the society.  A few years ago there was a "greening grey Britain" garden.  Last year it was the "Feel Good" garden in collaboration with the NHS.  This year it's another garden designed to promote health for children and they were lucky enough to get royal collaboration which all adds oomph to the publicity about gardening for well-being.

They also had a garden to show their ambitions and plans for the new RHS garden at Bridgewater.   Their own gardens are not judged for medals.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 352
    That makes sense I guess. I would have voted for this garden for sure - it made me feel good just by looking at it on the telly. 
    I also liked how full heartedly the Dutches and her whole family were involved in this project. Lovely interview she gave Monty too 😊
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 304
    I liked "Kate's Garden" very much indeed but I thought that she, herself, seemed rather shy and somewhat nervous?  Quite endearing, I think, that such a private person "endured" being interviewed for what she so believes in.   
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,330
    I doubt you would marry into a "Royal " family without being aware of the ongoing publicity which will follow you throughout life.
    Anyone in the public eye will use the media for publicity when they see fit and complain bitterly when the media intrudes into their "privacy".  The UK Royal family are well known for their manipulation of the press.
    I rather think Kate would know she would be well publicised at Chelsea but if she enjoyed helping to design a garden and people liked it then I imagine she would be feeling pleased - and why not ?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,505
    I doubt any commoner quite understands the level of scrutiny and expectation afforded to royals, especially heirs to the throne and their families.  Can't be easy to handle the balance between public exposure and maintaining some privacy for her family.

I rather admire her and William and Harry for campaigning to make mental health a subject to be discussed, aired and treated as normal.  It was also brave of her to respond to the RHS' invitation to collaborate - she gets a project in which she can be heavily involved and it's good that she chose to take it seriously and the RHS gets great publicity for its Gardening for Mental Health collaboration with the NHS.

Win-win. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,330
    Obelixx said:
    I doubt any commoner quite understands the level of scrutiny and expectation afforded to royals, especially heirs to the throne and their families.  Can't be easy to handle the balance between public exposure and maintaining some privacy for her family.

I doubt Kate was unaware of the Princess Di syndrome before she became involved with an heir to the throne.  Her choice - made in full knowledge of the insatiable appetite of the media.
    I'd certainly agree it must be a hard line to tread but the compensations should prove more than adequate.
    In her particular case, being involved in helping to create a garden which seems to have had thumbs up from a lot of gardeners must be rewarding.

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I wonder what her next garden at Hampton court will be like?

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 431
    I'm with you on that one @philippa smith2 don't exactly feel sorry for those freeloaders. Their idea of what a job is, is not exactly the average person's. Giving five interviews a year is not exactly taxing...and the rest of the time showing up to events and making idle conversation while your stylist picks your clothes...poor them, how do they cope 😉
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow