Duchess of Cambridge creates magical woodland garden for the Chelsea Flower Show

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,540
    IMHO , having a degree in art history makes her no more a garden designer than a couturier or an architect or any other profession involves " designing " anything.
    I'm sure she's a lovely person and her heart is in the right place and I hope her "input" aids the charity.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,794
    edited 11 February
    I agree an art degree doesn’t make her a garden designer ... if it did my garden would look a lot better than it does ... but it does mean that she should be able to express her ideas pictorially and they can then be interpreted by skilled garden designers ... which is what appears to have happened 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,405
    edited 11 February
    Some important people who allocate funding to social and community projects will be positively influenced by having an HRH in there.   It will also be a PR coup for the RHS which does important work on many fronts from research to education to supporting gardeners old and young in all aspects of gardening life, amateur and professional.

She had a childhood and has children.  Why shouldn't she have ideas and memories about what a garden should be for a happy childhood?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • It is not a secret that she is working together with award-winning landscape architects Andrée Davis and Adam White.

———————
    ”Andrée said of Kate: "She is very hands on, model making, emailing images, coming up with all the ideas that we want to capture. She would often bring a folder of cuttings with her full of ideas. The Duchess was very keen to use natural materials, has a clear idea of the colour palette she wants and her desire to incorporate the natural elements."
    ———————-
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 202
    Hostafan1 said:
    ... I hope her "input" aids the charity.
    Hear! Hear!
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,526
    I am neither royal nor rich - in fact, I'm distinctly left-leaning, but I feel it is a little hard to criticise her just for existing. Perhaps, one day, we will have a republic but as we are, it isn't their fault that they are who they are. If she is able to attract money to a good cause in this innocent way I'm all for it.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,405
    Precisely.  Who knows, it may even turn out to be a good garden.  Certainly can't be worse than some of the stuff we've had at Chelsea recently and this one is designed to be good for children as well as wildlife.   One of 3 collaborations apparently between the RHS and NHS and in keeping with Kate's commitment to mental wellbeing.

"The RHS Back to Nature Garden is part of the RHS’s partnership with NHS England, which promotes the physical and emotional wellbeing that access to green spaces and gardening provides. After Chelsea, some of the planting and landscaping will go to an NHS Mental Health Trust, as part of a national competition run by the RHS.

Continuing the collaboration and to engage even wider audiences, The Duchess of Cambridge and Davies White will be co-designing two further RHS Gardens, maintaining many of elements from the Garden at Chelsea, at RHS Hampton Court Palace Garden Festival (2-7 July 2019) and RHS Garden Wisley in Surrey, which will open in the autumn later this year. "
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,825
    If she helps the charity and brings a few people pleasure, good for her.
    I believe we are seeing a change in the Royal Family, with the younger generation, and i believe it is a change for the better.
    I too am decidedly left of centre, but I think they have a role.
    Time slide, place to hide, nudge reality
    Foresight, minds wide, magic imagery, oh-ho...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,794
    I’d rather have the current lot than a Trump 😡 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,526
    Oh good Lord,  so would I!