Duchess of Cambridge creates magical woodland garden for the Chelsea Flower Show

Duchess of Cambridge creates magical woodland garden for the Chelsea Flower Show to boost mental wellbeing after being inspired by childhood memories of the great outdoors

“With a den made of branches, a treehouse and a swing, it is a magical space filled with the spirit of adventure and play.

It’s just the sort of enchanting garden a young parent might want for their children – and it’s no surprise to discover it has been designed by a proud mother-of-three, the Dutchess of Cambridge.

As the drawings show, Kate’s creation for the Chelsea Flower Show is a fun-filled paradise inspired by childhood memories of spending time in the great outdoors.”

The sketch looks lovely, personally I would love to play in a garden like this :). :smile:

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,814
    Will be interesting to see how its brought to life 😀🌳🌿🍃
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 870
    I wonder who's building it for her/them?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,712
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 105
    The Duchess created her ‘Back to Nature’ garden with Andrée Davies and Adam White from Davies White Landscape Architects, and the Royal Horticultural Society. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 870
    😁
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 1,969
    It's a shame the picture didn't come with the key. Anyone want to chance a guess?

1) Leaves. Come pre-fixed to the trees apparently.
    2) Tree house. For looking down on poor people.
    3) Egg swing. Because one is too posh for a tyre on a rope.
    4) Servants' quarters.
    5) Berries. Servants have to eat after all.
    6) Fire. For cooking the berries.
    7) Plants to hide servants from view.
    8) Moat. Keeps the poor out.
    9) Drawbridge.
    10) Place to meet the poor. Must be easy to clean.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,999
    I'm with you @wild edges.
    Call my an old cynic, but I can't believe she'd had much input into it.
    Why not just say she's supporting charity XYZ as they build a garden, which I'm sure is nearer the mark.
    Devon.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,426
    Hadn't seen/heard this ground breaking news so thanks to wildedges for the rundown.  I have to admit I'm never sure which Duchess is which these days - there's a heck of a lot of them about - getting almost as bad as Lord This and Sir That - hard to keep up with 'em all  :(
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,520
    I'm with you as well @wild edges and @Hostafan1 .. Doubt if she did much more than say 'it must have a swing' and 'a den' type of thing. To say she has 'designed it' is probably well off the mark. Why is everything so hyped up these days?
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 50,022
    Don’t see why she shouldn’t have had a fair bit of input in it ... she has a degree in art history, is said to have done some particular study of depictions of Victorian childhood, which would seem relevant, and appears from the examples of her photography that we’ve seen to have ‘a good eye’. 

Why the need to do her down just cos she’s who she is?  It’s about time the royal family had input from someone who’s been in touch with real life, but as soon as she does something with her education rather than simply being a ‘royal wife and mother’ she gets slagged off. 

💡 Hope it’s not a touch of unconscious misogyny ...  ;)
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?