Monty mulches borders now?

CraighBCraighB Posts: 522
Hi guys,

I was reading Monty's blog and he mentions that in February he completes the mulching of borders if it's not too wet or freezing.

Are there any benefits to mulching now or is it better to wait until the soil warms up?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,720
    If I'm going to do it I like the soil to be moist and not too cold
  • CraighBCraighB Posts: 522
    edited 9 February
    So with the temperatures going up to around 10 degrees next week would it be a good idea to do it then Or wait until it's even warmer?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,720
    I'd get on with it, so much to do when spring gets fully underway
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 622
    edited 9 February
    I think it depends on the type of garden you like. I like to see the self seeders that have survived Winter. I have always worried about smothering little plants about to emerge. I like to feed and mulch in Autumn but mulching has never been something I do at this time of year. They get through the Winter or they don't in my garden, but that's just my way. I am sure Monty knows more than me 🙂.
    SW Scotland
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,305
    I mulch in the autumn (to keep the warmth in the soil) and feed in the now as established plants begin to produce their buds for the coming season.  It really depends where you are and whether you have a mainly summer or winter flowering garden.
  • batwood14batwood14 Posts: 85
    Weather predictions are that we are in for quite a dry period so I would mulch now. It also acts to prevent the worst of frost should we have anymore. I do all of my mulching in early November and do a top up now.