To paint a fence or not?

Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,982
How many people think a fence lasts longer if it's painted? I've never been convinced so don't bother. My fences last about 10 years, is that a good innings?

• B3B3 Posts: 7,274
    Leave it. If you paint it, it just seems like it lasts longer😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,532
    I don't paint my fences. Main problem with painting is that once you start, you've got to paint again every few years. :/
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 629
    I used to, but beginning to think that for the expense of a good preservative and time spent, every couple of years. Panels are not that expensive and supposedly treated so that ten years sounds okay to me. A bit longer would be nice though :D

We have post and arris with nailed on planks, fixed over short walls with brick pillars between. So not so easy to drop in a new panel.
    That has lasted 30 odd years. The two or three that are falling apart and rotting are the newest sections that were replaced after accidental damage the last one being ten-ish years ago.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,656
    When you say "paint" do you mean preservative, as opposed to actual paint.  I would expect a good quality fence to last at least 20 years.Panels not that expensive!! Well, if you use 6 x6 from B& Q maybe not but we did our with close boarded this year, cost plenty
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 249
    Problem I have is chap on the otherside paints his green! Guess what the green dribbles through in various places. It looks messy so I've had to paint our side, 2/3 years later it needs doing again. I don't paint the others on the ally side.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 406
    edited 12 February
    I  used Cuprinol ducksback 3 years ago and no signs of needing another coat yet..
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,982
    That looks good Flinster. I don't think I'll be copying you any time soon though. I rather think my painting days are over. 
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 406
    I love it! I’ve planted a couple of multistem birches in this area this autum so hoping they will look really dramatic in winter once they whiten up a bit! 😀