Hheavily Cutting back copper beech hedge

Hi, I have a copper beach hedge down the boundary of my garden. I’m looking to take it right back as it is around 3  meters wide and 3 meters tall. I am wanting to take around a meter off it and am wondering what the best way to do it and the tools to use as a regular hedge trimmer just wouldn’t get through the thicker beaches. Also it’s around 30m long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    I did the same. I used a pair of loppers to take off what I could. Then a pruning saw on the main trunk and thicker branches. I would take the top down this year, then push  one side back next winter, and the other side the third winter.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Lance_gLance_g Posts: 3
    Would it matter what way round it was done? The neighbor did their side last winter, so was hoping to do our side this winter and leave the top?
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    Yes, you could do that. Just do it in thirds. If one side has been done, do the other side this year, and then the top next year. 
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,750
    No, it doesn't matter which way round. It will be fine to cut your side back now, using loppers and a pruning saw but it will be a laborious job I'm afraid. You will also need to give some thought as to how you are going to dispose of all the debris.  Good luck
  • Lance_gLance_g Posts: 3
    Brill! Thank you all for the reply’s. 
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 573
    You can do the whole thing in one go. Absolutely no need to do it in thirds if you don't want to. The best tool will be a pole chainsaw, but it can be pricey to buy a half decent one. Bulky waste so it'll take some getting rid of! May be worth getting someone in.