Forum home Tools and techniques

Hheavily Cutting back copper beech hedge

Hi, I have a copper beach hedge down the boundary of my garden. I’m looking to take it right back as it is around 3  meters wide and 3 meters tall. I am wanting to take around a meter off it and am wondering what the best way to do it and the tools to use as a regular hedge trimmer just wouldn’t get through the thicker beaches. Also it’s around 30m long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    I did the same. I used a pair of loppers to take off what I could. Then a pruning saw on the main trunk and thicker branches. I would take the top down this year, then push  one side back next winter, and the other side the third winter.
  • Would it matter what way round it was done? The neighbor did their side last winter, so was hoping to do our side this winter and leave the top?
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    Yes, you could do that. Just do it in thirds. If one side has been done, do the other side this year, and then the top next year. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,493
    No, it doesn't matter which way round. It will be fine to cut your side back now, using loppers and a pruning saw but it will be a laborious job I'm afraid. You will also need to give some thought as to how you are going to dispose of all the debris.  Good luck
  • Brill! Thank you all for the reply’s. 
  • You can do the whole thing in one go. Absolutely no need to do it in thirds if you don't want to. The best tool will be a pole chainsaw, but it can be pricey to buy a half decent one. Bulky waste so it'll take some getting rid of! May be worth getting someone in.