Building Up a Hedgerow in Disrepair - Large Boundary

ian 49ian 49 Posts: 2
Hi All,

I’d be truely grateful if someone could advice where I can purchase hedgerow trees online at a reasonable price. 

So here’s the background...

I’ve purchased a cottage in Herefordshire as a small project or as my other half say’s - ‘the forever house.’

The property was left in disrepair over a ten year period. The gardens and hedgerows are being cut back to get them in order again. Large parts of the hedge is now open, and other parts are thin where the Ivy was removed because it was taking over control.

I’ve found an amazing seventh five year gardener who is doing an incredible job cutting back the hedgerows. He’s asked me to buy beech, hazel and hawthorn trees to rebuild the hedgerows.

l think I need a lot of trees.

Any advice where I can purchase quality trees would be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,

Ian

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 2,976
    edited 9 February
    Hello @ian 49 , welcome to the forum  :). I am sure there are several people on here who can help, personally l have used these people in the past
    https://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Wholesale.html
    but that was to buy box and thuja hedging which is slightly different, but the plant quality was very good.
    It sounds like you have got a good gardener there, is there anyone he can recommend,  or do you have a nursery nearby where you can see the sort of hedging they do in the flesh as it were, and talk to someone face to face ? 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,720
    https://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/index.html
    I've used these people with success
    Don't buy too large plants, small establish more quickly.
    You may find you get some good regrowth from the existing plants
  • PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 446
    Like Nutcutlet I have been happy with the service and plants from Buckingham Nursery.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 4,975
    And so have I.  
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 895
    Me too - every hedge I've ever planted in the last thirty years has come from them. And a lot of trees too!
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 1,063
    edited 9 February
    Hereford is a wonderful county.
    They are very keen on  natural wild hedging in your area....Holly, Dog rose, Spindle ....Euonymus, Beech, Acer campestre, blackthorn, hawthorn,  Guelder rose...etc etc

Before you look at mail order companies 
    You should check out your local nurseries and garden centres.
    Many sell bare rooted hedging plants.

eg Hereford Trees

http://www.herefordtrees.co.uk/

eg Pengethley garden centre
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 105
    Markets often have sales of hedging plants.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 2,524
    If you're quick you may still be able to find bare root native hedging 'whips' from garden nurseries. They'll be about 2ft-3ft tall, quite cheap and will establish easier than bigger plants. I suggest you phone round your local nurseries first.